hi, my allmost 5 year old does not listen to me. i have to repete myself over and over. bed time is hell. for the most part it takes forever. she comes up with all kinds of reasons to call me in her room. after she is bed she wants food, she knows not to ask me so she calls for my mom. i love her more than life but she drives my nuts. what to do i'm a single mom living with my mother and daughter?

mommamia73

Asked by mommamia73 at 11:08 AM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have three kids. so i understand what it's like to put kids to bed. The best way to get her to go to sleep is be persistant. when you finish bedtime stories and other routine.s. Tell her good night give her a kiss and hug. Let her cry. Sometimes it is ok to let them cry. If she wakes up with a night mare by all means go check on her but if she is throwing a fit find creative ways if crying isn't what you can handle. put her in the corner. find ways to show her you are going to be there and that you mean business. everyone has different ways. remember at first it will be hard and she will call you, cry and throw a fit. so be ready. there maybe some sleepless nights. when it is over. she will go to sleep at her bedtime.
    chickaboo_mom

Answer by chickaboo_mom at 11:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Start 30 min before bedtime picking up toys, putting whatever she likes to sleep with in her bed, getting last minute snacks & drinks, runs to the potty, talking to grandma, etc, etc, etc.

Then at bedtime... that's it. Everything's been covered - time to go to bed. Put her to bed. If she screams, let her. If she leaves her room, put her back. You know her needs have been met & at this point, she's just playing you.

If grandma is the type to step in.... make it clear to her that this is your child & that you've determined, as her parent, that she has a bedtime that she has to stick to.

That's what I'd do, anyways.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

• bed time is bedtime do not respond she is just playing both of you!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:49 AM on May. 14, 2009