Did you ever pay for Cobra Coverage?

We got A Form to have Cobra Coverage. Due is $2329. or $777.00 per month!! Has anyone paid this? Not on one small Unemployment Check! What can A family do??

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:13 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I opted out of the Cobra Coverage. There was no way in hell I was going to pay their ridiculous fees - you don't HAVE to take it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:17 AM on May. 14, 2009

• You should qualify for temporary medicaid if everyone is out of work and you have kids. At least the kids qualify for medicaid. I know, I couldn't afford the nearly $300 a month and that was just for me because I was already paying for my kid to have medicaid. Insurance companies want too much.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Yeah, that's what I went through when I left my last job... Not worth it. I don't have insurance and never will again. I wish I could go back and not have waisted all my money on it in the past... Now I have a Medical and Dental Discount Program. It lets us keep our money and lets us afford our healthcare... PM me if you want any information on it.

Cobra isn't worth the paper it's typed on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Cobra costs are outrageous. I had to pay them for my maternity leave. it was around $500 for just myself. To add my daughter (who was just born) would have cost me around $800 a month. Because of that i had my daughter put on my husbands insurance. My insurance was better, but we couldn't afford it.
    Id find out what type of healthcare you can get at the health dept. Find out how much it would be if you didn't have insurance at all. Check through them and maybe children services. I know its hard good luck honey.
    casd

Answer by casd at 11:19 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's too expensive. I looked into it for a brief 5 seconds or so. You can get a short term policy while you are in between work, or see about getting medicaid in the interim.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• See if you qualify for insurance through the state.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Does anyone who responded understand that COBRA is not an entity that dictates fees? COBRA is a government policy that mandates employers offer continuing coverage to employees who are no longer employed. The fees come directly from the policy in place at the time you leave the employer. You are charged the same rates your employer currently pays for you.

So the first responder was correct, you don't HAVE to take the offer if you think the rates are too high and you can't afford it. But keep in mind, the rates you see are what your employer is paying for every employee covered in the company. It seems as though the OP's employer was paying $777/month to provide her with health insurance, which works out to be a $9,324 benefit per year.

So my point is, COBRA is not expensive; health insurance is expensive. So when your employer is paying for it, appreciate it for the benefit that it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 15, 2009