do you feed your toddler or let them feed themselves?

personally i feed my son, otherwise it would take forever for him to eat his food. and when i feed him it only takes about 15 minutes.

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 11:15 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 14 months and ti depends on my mood but I usually feed him because he plays with it and smashes it up with his fingers and throws it on the floor and it gets irritating. LOL But I let him feed himself sometimes :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:17 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I let her feed herself so she can learn how. Dont baby them, they are todlers now!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I let her feed herself - its part of teaching them to be independent. Meal time shouldn't be about speed, it should be about spending time together. Yes it takes her a little longer, but thats why she gets her food 10 minutes before we do.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My 20 month olds feed themselves most of the time. Occaisionally when they are have a rough time keeping a particular food on their spoons and getting frustrated I will help. They usually do a pretty good job unless they aren't hungry, and then they tend to play and make a mess.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i let him feed himself he just turned 2 and he is very good at it he was the one who wanted to at 15 mo he would get pissed if i even tried to feed him he is very independent
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 11:29 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My daughter feeds her self and has since I introduced finger foods. She's pretty good with a fork and spoon now and hates for me to try to help her. She'll be 24 months on Saturdya. I can totoal understand the time issue though. I put my daughter in her high chair and do the dishes while she eats. Then I don't care how long it takes! Dinner she eats with us so rather than eating her plate she insists on eatting off of ours!
    Anonymous

• I let him try 1st. Give him some him and help him along the way if he needs it. Yes, it's slower and messier but that's howthey learn to do things.
    grandmomto3

Answer by grandmomto3 at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I let my 14 month old son feed himself. One reason is because he wants to do it himself and refuses to eat if I try to feed him.Another reason is, althought it may take longer, he's got to learn to do it himself at some point. I think that as soon as they start eating solid food then they should learn how to feed themselves - the earlier the better for you (less fighting).
    vpsmama

Answer by vpsmama at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My DD is 2 and feeds herself everything, she's been feeding herself completely since she was about 11 months. It took longer when she was younger and it was of course messy but that's what baths are for. As for time, I always made sure I didn't need to go anywhere around meal time and I did things while she ate, she always ate before hubs and I started eating, that way if she was still eating cool if not she could play while we ate.
    unknwndreamer

Answer by unknwndreamer at 5:11 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My daughter feeds her self with just about any kinda food but with messy messy food i will feed her .oh and she is 15 months old ,
    MelanieRoberts

Answer by MelanieRoberts at 12:31 AM on May. 15, 2009