teeth brushing problems again..

my son was doing soo good with the teeth brushing.. he would let me brush his teeth for about a minute. sometimes i had to try to make him laugh to open his mouth but it still got done. but now he doesn't want to brush them anymore.. its to the point where i keep asking him to open his mouth and eventually he starts crying and i just brush as he's crying. i know it sounds bad but im terrified that he will get cavities. forget about vibrating toothbrushes because he's scared of those. he has a toothbrush that plays music but he's bored of that now. i don't know what else to do! help!

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 11:20 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't matter if he is laughing, crying, or throwing a tantrum - if his mouth is open, brush. Remember, this is just like getting him to take medicine when he's sick... he may scream and cry but the medicine still has to go down.
    I'd also suggest stopping in to the dentist and having the dentist tell him he must let you brush his teeth and getting a couple of "brush your teeth" storybooks to read.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:38 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Get an oven timer, set it for 1 min and let him hold and examine it while you brush. That may work for a while. Even if he's crying it's best to just do it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I, too, am going through this. My ds will cry and I try to distract him. Sometimes, I sing to him or his older brothers will try doing some things that they think he might like just so I can brush his teeth. I agree with kaycee14. If your son's mouth is open, brush his teeth. Each of my 3 boys, at one time or another, refused to open their mouths. I had to pinch their noses closed just long enough for them to open their mouths and for me to get the toothbrush inside their mouths. Eventually, they figured out that I was going to brush their teeth.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:48 PM on May. 14, 2009