• In the Spotlight:

Dealing with a new sibling

My son is 6yrs old and we just found out that there is a sibling on the way. How do we explain this to him so he knows that he will still be loved just the same and given all the attention he gets now as an only child. He loves helping to care for his younger cousins when they visit and he does ask at times for a baby brother or sister and he is a very helpful child. The last thing I want to do is make him feel like we care about a new baby more than we care about him and his daily life of school and activities..I want us to continue to be a part of everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dh and I sat our children down and asked them, "How would you like a baby brother or sister?" This gets the ball rolling. They asked all of their questions. We then told them that we would always love them. When the baby came, we would need their help. (If they asked where babies come from, we told them that they are very special gifts that came from God.) We explained to them that when the baby came home from the hospital, we might be very busy with the baby for a while but that we would find time to spend just with them. If they had any more questions, we answered them. Congratulations!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We got our son a "I'm going to be a big brother" Tshirt and a book explaining everything. We presented it to him as a gift! He was SO excited...we've included him on everything including doctor's appointments...he scanned all items when we went to do the registry. He thinks the baby is "his" baby. My advice is to keep him involved as much as possible so that he will know that the baby is a part of the family and no competition to him. He even has his own sonogram picture in his room. My son asks about his "baby brother" 3-4 times a day. I'm due in September and my son is also 6 years old. Good Luck!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Our 6 yr old is about to gain a little sister (today is actually my due date). He has dealt really well with the idea of the baby coming, we'll see if it continues once she arrives...I think it's important to stress the special job of being a older brother, also as you work on the nursery make sure your son gets a few new things too - also one thing I read that makes a lot of sense if your son feels left out once the baby arrives is to make a "contract" with him that makes a promise that everyday he will get 30 minutes (or whatever works for you) of alone time with mommy and daddy (or at least one of you), during which he can chose something fun you can play together. I think the main thing that kids feel like they lose with a sibling is the one on one time they had before, so making a promise to continue that even just a little might help! Good luck!! Sounds like we are in the same boat :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:05 PM on May. 14, 2009