Dealing with a new sibling

My son is 6yrs old and we just found out that there is a sibling on the way. How do we explain this to him so he knows that he will still be loved just the same and given all the attention he gets now as an only child. He loves helping to care for his younger cousins when they visit and he does ask at times for a baby brother or sister and he is a very helpful child. The last thing I want to do is make him feel like we care about a new baby more than we care about him and his daily life of school and activities..I want us to continue to be a part of everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 4 and I've been dealing with this myself. I have been very open with my son about him having a new brother and how mommy's going to need his help a lot. I've taken him to the OB appointments so he can hear the heartbeat, and so he could see his brother on the ultrasounds. I also encourage him to talk to my belly and I lay down and let him "play" with his brother. Which consists of him poking my belly til his brother moves around. And I always tell him that just because he will have a new brother, he's still my number 1 and he will always be my number 1.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:41 AM on May. 14, 2009

• thanks. That is definitely comforting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I have a 5 yr old and I'm due again in July. We try to make it so that Carlos is included in everything. When we were talking about names we asked him what he thought about them, he helped go threw his old baby clothes to get ready for his brother. We take him to all ultrasounds, most dr appts. We talk about how he's a big boy and how he'll be such a big helper with his little brother. I did tell him right away when we found out so he didn't hear from someone else. I just told him that the baby was due in the summer by his grandma's b-day (i'm due 5 days before my mom's b-day). On June 10 we are taking a tour of the hospital so Carlos will know where I am. I also promised him that aside from the people at the hospital he'll be the first to know when his brother is born and get to be the first to come see his brother.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Keeping the older child involved is definitely the most important thing. My son was 4 when his brother was born and he is the greatest helper and protector you could imagine. We took him to ultrasounds and doctor visits. We let him help pick his brother's name, clothes, toys, etc. We would show him every couple of weeks what the baby looked like with a magazine the doctor gave us called "How your baby grows" and with the pregnancy calendar at parentsconnect.com. He is really looking forward to his next little brother due in July. Just make sure you give your older child special private time with you after the baby is born. For us it was story time. Daddy would feed little brother while I read our older one a story. Now our oldest would rather take his little brother in his room to play. They grow so fast.
    PandoraRobin

Answer by PandoraRobin at 7:25 PM on May. 14, 2009