Raccoons in your children's toys?

I have a friend on Facebook that just posted photos of a Raccoon climbing on her kids yard toys at night and I think he's eating rice out of the sand box also. Her heading is something like "We're such good friends now he even let's me photograph him from the deck as he snacks." All I can think is "Oh my God! You let that filthy thing eat out of your kids toys! That's disgusting! Get a BB gun!" Am I a really mean person or something? I mean obviously I'm no Snow White, but this thing is a wild animal and who knows what kind of parasites it's got! She's encouraging it to hang around her house AND to put it's mouth and filthy paws all over her kids play things! I think it's gross.

Mind you Raccoons are not rare or special here, they are generally just pests and pretty gross too. They're like giant rats!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree, I think it's gross.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• you might have raccoons all over your yard and your kids toys as well, you just might not know it. Granted she should probably cover the sand box, especailly since cats thinks it a giant kitty litter box, but outside of that, can't really do anything else. WE have coons here, all over the place, but we have 2 big dogs that keeps them away
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree!! Raccoons are so germy! And they carry rabies(sp?). You should worry if they are out in broad daylight crawling all over the yard. I would warn her that it's not safe to leave food out, what's going to happen when one of her children are out there and it feels threatened and goes after them?!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:43 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Children carry germs too....

If you only KNEW how many germs were in your backyard or on your children's playthings you'd probably freak and keep them inside....

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Her kids aren't going to get rabies because a raccoon was eating from their sandbox. They have to be bit...and aren't raccoons generally nocturnal? You would have died if you had to survive 100 years ago, LOL!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:46 AM on May. 14, 2009

• When i was a teenager we had a raccoon as a pet, this pet would ride in cars all the time but we kept are pet clean but i do know my pet raccoon hated my hubby cause him and a friend would smoke cigars in my car and the poor animal couldn't get any fresh air.. but my pet raccoon played real good with my 2 oldest kids . i think its cute nothing wrong with it all she has to do it spray windex with water on the outside toys and they will be clean
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Raccoons as pets are cute and cuddly, but wild raccoons out in the country where we live, or even habituated raccons in a suburban setting are dangerous. Actually the semi-habuated ones in the suburbs are worse because they are not afraid of humans like the wild ones. Well, the wild ones USUALLY are. One evening just after dark my husband (6' tall, 195 lbs) walked from our house towards the barn and was confronted by a large boar coon who had no intention of letting him pass, He actually charged my husband, a grown man. DH defended himself by kicking it when it got that close. Thank God he was wearing heavy work boots. There is no way a child could defend himself or herself against something like this. It is not wise to encourage them to hang around. Keep your trash tightly covered and don't leave food around for them. They kill and eat pet cats, and they love dog food, so bring Kitty inside at night, and Fido's food, too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Well, if you've got kids toys out in the yard, you've probably got wild animals crawling all over them whether you know it or not. We have skunks, raccoons, all kinds of stuff in our yards at night, not to mention our free range chickens. I just hose it off occasionally. You can't usually catch parasites without direct contact, and you have to get bit to get rabies. If there were feces or whatever, I would definitely clean it off. But other than that I don't stress about the potential germs that potential animals might bring in the yard. Your kids are a lot more likely to get sick from other kids at school daycare etc than to catch something from another species.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Outdoor kid's toys are subject to all sorts of animals......racoons, squirrels, birds, deer, bear, and field mice, just to name a few.
    Having lived out in the boonies up in Maine it was just a natural part of life.
    If something gross was on the swingset or picnic table then we would just rinse it off with the hose. Kids get just as dirty and germy by digging in the ground, playing in the woods, and swimming in the pond.
    One thing I always taught my kids, though, was to never, ever approach a wild animal, no matter how cute or friendly it seemed.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Um, when the woodsman shot Bambi's Mother, did you find this a sad moment? At all?
    Jeeze lady get a grip. That animal is not going to hurt anyone. They should cover up the sand box at night because cats and other animals will shit in it and that IS gross. How do you know what crawls on your play equipment when you sleep?
    Anonymous