Need food advice: My dd's b-day party is Saturday; the temp will be 106

I'm probably crazy for doing this outside. How long can I let the food sit out in that type of heat. We are having a caprese salad (tomatoes and mozz), chicken salad and veggie salad sandwiches, pasta salad, and a veggie tray with spinach dip.

Any advice you have will be welcome. I know I will be spending all my time putting food in and out of the coolers.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 11:50 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• keep it on ice. Get those big throw-away metal pans like made for lasagna and put crushed ice in the bottom, then put your salad bowls on top of that. And stir it every now and then so some gets to the bottom where the ice is. You can also use metal bowls and freeze them before you put your salad in it. You cant leave dairy (cheese mayo ect) out in the heat, you guest will get sick.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:31 PM on May. 16, 2009

• What I would do is get a couple kiddy pools and fill them full of ice and place the dishes of food in there, then they will stay cold longer. Also if you could have the food under a tent taht would keep the sun from shining down on it. Thats what we did for our outdoor wedding that was outside in 90+ degree weather and it worked well because we had a tropical theme wedding, so people thought it was cute and fun and not tacky :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Yike! Keep them on ice and out of the sun for sure. 2 hours maximum, then throw them out. Chicken salad is probably not a good idea, the chicken in small pieces is easier to spoil than chicken in large pieces. Fried or barbecued chicken. Hot dogs. Perhaps you should serve from the coolers. Let the people get their food, then put the lids back on, and if they want more they can lift the lids off and replace them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Keep the food inside or have lots of cooler. I would throw all food away after 2 hours.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on May. 14, 2009