what kinders look forward to in 1st grade

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am not sure. My son is graduating Kindergarden here in the next cpl of weeks. I asked him what he looks forward to in first grade and his responce was: NEW FRIENDS!! LMAO I then asked about harder work and he then replied" I am in kindergarden now doing first grade work so whats going to be harder?" The school did indeed tell me that my child was too smart for kindergarden and that if he gets to first grade and shows signs of boredum they will take him to second grade level work...
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 12:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A full day of school without naps! LOL Seriously that was a rough adjustment for my 1st graders and the teacher says it's a common problem.

As far as academics, they have to complete reading logs each month, they have weekly spelling tests, and monthly book reports to demonstrate comprehension of the reading books.

Math is a bit more tougher - they have to do addition and subtraction of up to 2-digit numbers, count money, fractions, tally marks, telling time, intro to measuring using inches and cm, and temperatue!

It's rough! LOL
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Kindergarten is the foundation. If the teacher is good, he/she will help your child learn the spelling words, read little books while in a reading group, tell funny stories and listen when your child tells a funny story, teaches math in a fun and interesting way. Show and Tell, lunch and recesses will be the best fun LOs have. Not have a nap time, will be difficult at first. Overall, it should be great year for all LOs.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Although there are basics, much of what changes between K to 1st will depend on the structure of your district. Without knowing your school's specific structure, it's impossible to say. Does your school system have it's own web site? Check and see if there's a description of course expectations and example day-to-day structure.

For example, looking over previous posts, I can tell you there are already things listed here that did not apply to my son. Our K program was only half-day. Naps - not an issue. Going half-day to full-day *was* a factor. Moving from more hands-on, interactive and group experiences to worksheet laden, seat-work focused and some group experience settings was another. Even the academics listed here are not an exact match up to what our experience has been. The best thing, honestly, is to dig around for info specific to your district.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The ability to sit for longer periods of time, and focus. There is less free movement and fee choice. There is more responsibility like a weekly spelling test. It does depend on your district and their state benchmarks/expectations. It also depends on the style of teaching methods that your schools embrace........be it direct instruction or whole language. Is the class center based or more traditional (sit and learn)? The reading is really important in 1st so decoding skills, fluency, and comprehension are focused on. Sounds like a lot, but a great teacher pulls this off with care, engaging lessons, and allows the kids to have fun while learning.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter started to cry when I told her. She said she is going to miss her teacher. I think it is because she is going to another playground and she don't have the same teacher.
    shorty2003

Answer by shorty2003 at 1:38 AM on May. 17, 2009