My son is 5 1/2 months old and is still not rolling over. Help!

He sleeps with us and when he takes naps he is in his moby wrap or in his car seat. Is he too far behind? He gets close when he is laying down and did do it once, weeks ago but am i doing more harm than good by holding him when he sleeps?

jenmommy27

Asked by jenmommy27 at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will do everything at his own pace. My son didn't start crawling until 11 months. I was starting to freak out cause all the other babies in his play group could do laps around the room. He just did it when he was ready.
    Anonymous

• Holding him when he sleeps won't change anything. Tummy time will. Where is he when he is awake? In his car seat? In the wrap? In a bouncy seat? He needs to be on his tummy, on the floor. Unless he is trying to do baby pushups, he will not develop the muscles he needs to roll over, sit up, crawl, and walk.

Is he behind, not really. By 6 months, most (but not all) babies can roll in both directions. Unless he is still not rolling by 8 months, I wouldn't be concerned.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc

When looking at this chart, use the first column to spot trouble - if your little one isn't doing something that MOST of the babies 2 months younger than him can do, bring it up to your doctor. Use the other columns to figure out what things adventures are soon to appear in your life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:04 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If I averaged the age where my children started to roll it would be about 8 months, But let me say that my youngest could not roll from back to front until way past his first year, he was meeting every milestone fine, except that. We called him turtle boy for the longest time cause if you layed him on his back he would look like a turtle who was flipped on his back.

I agree with kaycee...tummy time will get him where he needs to be.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Thank you to all of you! I have increased his tummy time, even if it is for a few minutes, a few times a day and increasing as he gets used to it. I hope i see an improvment soon. I feel bad that i put him behind.
    jenmommy27

Answer by jenmommy27 at 1:54 PM on May. 17, 2009