It's so hard to breathe!

I'm 36 weeks pregnant. I can't really find a comfortable position to get a deep breath in edgewise. I feel like I am breathing heavier than normal. Any suggestions/ activities/ positions that can alleviate this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do at this point. Because the baby is so big, it's squishing your lungs so it's fairly hard to get a good deep breath. For me, laying on my side instead of my back seems to help.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• get down in the floor on your hands and knees and try taking a deep breath. of course you may need a little help getting back up.lol...that always worked for me. also i did belly exercises. i stood in the middle of my living room floor, moved my hips and belly around in circles, did some light leg and back stretching, and the one thing that seemed to help me is standing with my feet a little further apart than my hips, hands on my knees so I am bent over a little, and did breathing exercises. that is also a good position for labor. you can do your labor breathing exercises. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I've been having this trouble since 15 weeks. As my doctor so nicely put it "It's just your gut riding up!" Nice. Anyway, the only position I have found is to sit up straight (make sure your torso is nice and straight) then roll you shoulders forward but keep your torso straight, difficult but it can be done. THEN I can get a deep breath in. I'm a pro at it now, but I would start to get panicky at times before I figures this out. I don't go up stairs if I don't absolutely have to and I ask others to carry my 18 month old if available.
    Be sure you talk to your doctor about it too. There are other more serious complications it can be, although rare. It's always good to get a medical opinion. :)
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 2:17 PM on May. 14, 2009