What would you do, how would you feel?

I moved out of my mother's house because she was abusive and controlling. I needed help moving my stuff into the truck so my younger brother helped. He was happy to help for free because he wanted my room. My mother came along and asked him if he was getting paid to help me and told him if he wasn't than he should be. He refused to help me after that (I still had one big two person thing to move so I needed the help). I only had enough money to get to where I was going so I gave him something big and semi-expensive (200 dollar range), that I wasn't going to be able to bring with me because of it's size. plus I new it had sentimental value to him as well.

My mother called me and told me that instead of getting a job he is going to sell said expensive/sentimental/irreplaceable item to buy a xbox . It was my mother's idea to sell it. She is willing to sell said item back to me if I come and remove it (it weighs 2 tons).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• It sounds like your mom is still trying to control you. You're 600 miles away and she knows that this thing is important to you. She knows that you are feeling trapped and horrible about it. She is still abusing you, even though you are not close to her house. I say , let the thing go. It must have been hard giving it to your brother "as payment" because of your mother, but in order for you to move on, ingnore your mother's comments. Tell her to let your brother sell it. But for your sake, stop taking her calls. Get an answering machine if you don't have caller ID. Your mother is just trying to hurt you because you left. You owe it to yourself to heal. When you are ready, then YOU call her. But not until then. Good luck. Im sure it will be hard, but surround yourself with caring, strong people.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• BTW, I have no way to get there to buy it back or a way to haul it 600 miles back home.
    Anonymous

• since you already gave the thing away i think it wasnt very special to you. Now, it doesnt matter if your brother has it or if he sells it to get an xbox. and besides u cannot buy back or uhaul it so let him do whatever he wants to do with it. think u boght him an xbox for helping u to move!
    Anonymous

• Once you give it away, it is his to do with as he pleases. It would probably hurt my feelings. I would call and talk to him about the sentimental value of the object and encourage him to hold on to it, but once you've given it to him it's really up to him what he wants to do with it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• To me it sounds like your mom has issues with you!! I it wasnt for your MOM your brother probably wouldnt have chose the option of selling the item. I would encourage the phone call and see what he says but in an essense the object is his to do what he pleases with.

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 12:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

• How would I feel...
    I would have to wonder why does my mother hate me so damn much....the woman is brutal..

I would be so damn hurt to think that she would do something like that...and to think that she would tell your brother that he should get paid to help you...

My does mother hate her life so bad??

I would tell her exactly how I feel...don't keep those bricks on your shoulders and then I would walk away...
    She would have to kiss my ass for along time for me to ever like her again..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I tell her to shove it up her ass!
    Anonymous

• stop talking to both of them for awhile and separate yourself even more. shit with a mother like that who would need enemies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I'd thank her for asking me first then tell her to advertise it on Craigslist. If no one wanted it then call me and I'd come get it and take it off her hands but not paying for it

Answer by admckenzie at 1:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As sad as it may be for you, it isn't yours to decide anymore. You just have to accept that it's gone. It may have sentimental value, but I have learned over the years all those things are only material things, and they are not all that important. I have lost EVERYTHING before, and it's hard but I moved on and now I have lots of new things, but I don't put so much sentimental value on material things anymore.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:36 PM on May. 14, 2009