Is breast cancer an important issue to you?

Proposed Mastectomy Law Change
(written by a surgeon);
A mastectomy is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

This Mastectomy Bill is in Congress now. It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important.The Breast Cancer Hospitalization Bill is important legislation for all women.There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which wills require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy.
Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition drive to show your support.
Breast Cancer Petition | myLifetime.com

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 12:05 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• that link is not working
    Here is one that does work. Please take a moment to do this. it is important to all of us

http://www.mylifetime.com/my-lifetime-commitment/breast-cancer/petition/breast-cancer-petition

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:07 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It is but i have done a little to reduce the risk. I think breastfeeding is very important not only for the baby but for the mom. If your breast do not do what its suppose to do than i think it increases the risk of breast cancer. JMHO.
    Anonymous

• Well yes, I am a breast cancer survivor! Never thought I would tell that on here though.
    Thanks for the post, 1 in 8 women will now get breast cancer. Family history is of great significance but in my case there was none, just a really good Radiologist who had a bad feeling.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes, several women on my mum's side have been diagnoised with Cancer including last April my own mum. Luckily for her they caught it in the nick of time and she didn't require chemo or radiation; an out patient surgery was all that's required. My think that although I'm just 32yrs old I will start having regular breast mamograms around age 35.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Thank you for the info, I will contact my reps. Breast Cancer is a big concern for me as my mother, grandmother, great aunt and aunt on my fathers side have all had it. I fear I am doomed but keep up with my exams and check-ups.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I hope this bill passes!! My grandmother had breast cancer in the 1980's and had a single mastectomy. I do not remember much, except for when she told us, and then I remember her and my grandfather took a long vacation. I am sure she was in major pain though. I could only imagine.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• anon 12:10 I'm all for breastfeeding, however, My mother in-law breastfed all 3 of her children and she passed away last year from breast cancer. Please take a few seconds and sign this petition it is important to all of us.
    The Bipartisan Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act Needs Your Support!
    This week Representatives Rosa DeLauro (D-Connecticut) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) and Senators Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) will re-introduce the bipartisan Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act in Congress. Thanks to its viewers, Lifetime has so far collected more than 23 million online petition signatures urging Congress to pass this critical legislation, which would end the practice of so-called "drive-through" mastectomies when women are forced out of the hospital only hours after invasive breast cancer surgery.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm a big breast cancer awareness advocate. I've heard about this and signed the petition, but it's great that you are passing the information along. =) I try to promote early detection, including BRCA testing, self-checks, clinical checks, and early mammograms.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• anon 12:10 here.......Will do.
    Anonymous

• I am- one of the big reasons I breastfeed!
    ap.sahm

Answer by ap.sahm at 1:40 PM on May. 14, 2009