Ancient sculpture = obsessed with sex?!? WTF?

Here is a link, it was on Yahoo! It is about an ancient sculpture found in Germany, apparently of a woman "with a swollen belly and large, protruding breasts." The scientest concluded, from that, that "these people were obsessed with sex." Come ON; it looks like a pregnant woman, or possibly a woman feeding a child. I think this dude is just obsessed with, or has been deprived of sex, lol. Read the article, and let me know what you think. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/ap_on_sc/eu_germany_oldest_sculpture

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 12:42 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I noticed that but didn't actually pay attention....that's dumb! It's probably some fertility statue or something, but since it has something to do with fertility OBVIOUSLY that means the whole culture was obsessed with sex...not their survival or anything like that.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• (that last part about the culture being obsessed was sarcasm, btw, I don't think the culture was obsessed!!)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:46 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry but where the hell is the head???
    LOL.....it doesn't look very sexual to me.....people are so weird..!!?!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I couldn't even tell what it was! This guy is stupid. Just because sex is the first thing that came to his mind when he saw it doesn't mean "these people were obsessed with sex!" Maybe someone just appreciated womens bodies! LOL! IDK , that statement just seemed off the me.
    Anonymous

• Back in the old days alot of artist did paints of women sexually and it made them popular with other paintings they did so i think this guy is off of his rocker ..
    Anonymous

• I saw the SAME thing and thought the EXACT same thing too!!! It looked like a pregnant woman!

It's no different than primitive African art of a stature with a large fallus along side a statue with large breasts. That art is made to represent the differing roles of male and female and what their strengths are. It doesn't have to have anything to do with having sex lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:01 PM on May. 14, 2009