No epidural this time around.. Need advice..

Since I had four edpidurals my last pregnancy and none of them worked.. I was in such pain as if I didn't have one to begin with.. So my doctor told me yesterday that she won't give me an epidural this time around but she'll give me a spinal. (not sure if I'm spelling that right) So has anyone gone through labor with a spinal? If so, can you tell me if it worked for them and what it did for them? ie... did it numb your legs or what??? I'm at a loss here... Thanks Ladies...

Halsmommy

Asked by Halsmommy at 12:43 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes I had 3 of them. They gave them before they had epidurals. Yes they numb your legs but they won't expect you to get up and walk for 24 hrs (or that's the way it was back then). They just go in deeper than an eipdural. You'll be fine. We were told to lay flat afterward for 24hrs to not get headaches. Not sure if that is true now either.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:48 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Thanks.. I hope it works this time around.. I almost died the first time.. Very nervous about this pregnancy and any advice is much appreciated...
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 12:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Spinals are what they give you when you have a c-section lol so of course they work. I had one with my first, she was c-section.

I walked 12 hrs later.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• if you're having a vaginal birth...i don't know why they would give you a spinal. u may get the worse headache of your life afterwards....and you may not feel enough to push and end up with a c-section. i don't know, if i were you...i'd opt out of any meds!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:33 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I had a c-section but they only gave me four epidurals.. No spinal.. I had a bad hospital and a bad delivery.. I'm not stupid.. I know the difference.. I am having another c-section again and was worried that it wouldn't work like the four epidurals didn't...
    thanks for all the advice though..
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 7:04 PM on May. 14, 2009