more on the adjustment

My daughter is 7. She goes to her father's home for 5 days every other week. In the past year things have been very hard for me to handle. She is constantly coming home with a new array of questions/problems. He has married and has had 2 more children. This wasn't a problem for me, actually I thought it was going to be good for her to have siblings. My opinion has changed due to many differences in our parenting techniques. The step mom now wants to be called "Momma Julie" b/c her son has been calling her Julie instead of mom. I had to hear of this second hand from my daughter. This is just one issue. The most important issue is new for me to deal with. The step mom has given my daughter advice to not have meltdowns when she comes home b/c "your mom won't let you come over here if you do". How do I deal with this?

jmwyman

Asked by jmwyman at 12:45 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you need to sit down and have a talk with the stepmom. She shouldnt be telling your DD not to be hiding what happens at the house. Thats not teaching her the right thing. And it puts to much stress on your DD thats what happend with me and my family. I got so stressed because of not being able to tell my mom what was going on at dads that i became verry depressed. and she shouldnt ask your DD to be calling her momma Julie because she is not her mother. if her child started to call her julie then she needs to talk to her children about it not change what your DD is doing so things are easy or better for her. And if talking to the stepmom dosnt work then i would have a sit down with your EX and talk to him about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:54 PM on May. 14, 2009