Have you ever "peeked" the non-english TV channels?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If by "peeked" you mean just watched a channel that was not in English, ... sure !

In our area we get Spanish, Korean & Vietnamese.
    I love watching and getting from them a sense for the way they present the world, in contrast with the American mind-set (probably to be more accurate, the "Hollywood" mind-set) displayed on regular programming.

The Spanish are more romantic and dashing in their stories, their soap operas are super-melodramatic. They're less cynical ... The Koreans seem to have a fatalistic streak: their audience apparently feels fulfilled by having things be tragic: there is no happy ending for the lovers, etc. I noticed this in a book of Korean children's tales, too. ...

Also I watch news shows for these different audiences ... the Asian community seems to be striving to get women to know their American rights about being abuse by their men. That was cool.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• What's "peeked"?

The only time I've ever watched anythingthat was not in English was when I took German in high school.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Im bilingual so I watch both english and spanish channels....
    Anonymous

• Same as pp, I'm bilingual and watch both English and Spanish tv shows
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Crystal To glance quickly peeked past participle of peek
    Anonymous

• Hmm, it's my TV, so it's not like I need to "peek," lol. Well, I speak Spanish, and sometimes I like to watch Spanish movies and TV. There is also a World music channel that shows movies, news, and music in different languages. I love to learn different things about the world.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 1:00 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I like to watch telemundo to help me learn more Spanish. I'm pretty good at speaking spanish but I learn more slang terms and expressions from watching los deportes y las novellas en TV LOL...ja ja ja Ok, that was probably pretty messed up but I try ;)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 1:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't speak a lick of Spainish but I love watching Spainish TV. They speak with such emotion that it sucks me in. I love it!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:20 PM on May. 14, 2009

• There's a gameshow we used to watch all the time, something about a goose. The set was like a life-sized board game and the contestants had to do very obnoxious stunts, sometimes raunchy sometimes just dangerous-stupid. A lot of things involving electricity or being submerged for a very long time with no oxygen tank.

Nowadays I flip it on once in a while, but my Spanish is rusty. Last time I caught some telenova just as the two young love interests were SO relieved to find out they weren't actually brother and sister. I haven't turned it back on since - I'm scared!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• ladybugkisses76 OHHHH! lovely. Same here emotions, emotions. To bad there is no italian channel in my tv.
    Anonymous