Should a 3 year old be able to wear make-up to cheerleading tryouts?

My step-daughter has cheerleading tryouts on Sat. her mother went out and bought tons of make-up for this event. She is obsessed it seems with making her up for these tryouts. what do you think?

hannahsothermom

Asked by hannahsothermom at 12:52 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um, no. I was brought up that make-up, earrings and such were for teenagers. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 13. Wasn't allowed to start wearing make-up (and it was minimal make-up at that) until I was 14. I wasn't allowed to start shaving until I was 13 too. When I hit puberty is when I started to be allowed to do "grown-up" things. And I will do the same with my daughter if I am ever blessed to have one. These days parents allow their children (boys and girls alike) to grow-up WAY too quickly. Let them be kids while they are still kids. Sorry, but even if I were more lax on the "grown-up" things...age 3 is WAY too young for make-up.
    Anonymous

• heck no, they're 3
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think makeuip belong nowhere near any female under the age of 12. JMO
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Why is a three year old doing cheerleading? Isn't that too young? I don't like that....Was her mom a cheerleader? I don't get that...
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:54 PM on May. 14, 2009

• 3 and makeup for tryouts thats crazy! i agree with grneyedgrandma. No makeup till around 12. thats just crazy i had to wear some when i was 5 but i was in theatre for many years but that was the only reason and i washed it off right away. And 3 is way to young to be a cheerleader. I did cheer when i was 10 then agian in high school but 3 is just crazy. sry but i guess that hit a nerve.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• what the hell is a 3 year old going to tryouts for?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I feel make up doesn't belong on children.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Why not? Under circumstances of course.
    I would let my daugher where make up at 3 for something like that if it was done naturally. Only to bring out her inner beauty. Like doing up her eyes, or putting on some shiny lip gloss. No pink blush or pink or blue eye shadow! Or eye liner or anything.

Maybe a tan eye shadow and some mascara and maybe some lip gloss.

That would be about it.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Eww. A 3 year old in make up? Parents are trying to make their kids grow up way to fast any more. Why not strap a bra on her too? That way she can skip all of her childhood and go straight to being a teenager.
    Anonymous

• Is she a beauty queen too, i suppose she probably goes to the tanning beds too. She's 3 let her be a 3 yr old- she shouldn't have to worry about tryouts or make-up at this age.
    Anonymous