When do I potty train?

I have a long way to go... But I don't even know when I should start potty training my daughter. When did you potty train yours and how did you do it?

DeathBat

Asked by DeathBat at 12:55 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on each child. But I have introduced the potty chair to them at about 12- 14 months old. Having them sit onthe potty when I am using the br gets them use to what I want them to try. Taking them there to sit 1st thing in am helps too. I have found girls easier on the average totrainthen bous.
    grandmomto3

Answer by grandmomto3 at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We're currently working on it, but Ryder's not really ready yet. As soon as she can connect the feeling with actually needing to go BEFORE she goes, she'll be ready. Probably closer to 2 years or so. But, girls generally potty train sooner than boys so maybe earlier for you!
    We just started off by getting Ryder a potty chair, explaining what it was, let him play with it. There's also a TON of good videos that they can watch that are aimed at kids. Oh and good books for them too!
    Michele79

Answer by Michele79 at 1:43 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Well..... I tried starting to potty train my son at 2.... yeah.... no go. He was NOT ready. FF a year and a half later.... he FINALLY decided he was ready. I tried and tried in those 18 months which led to nothing but frustration and me pulling a lot of my own hair out by its roots. Seriously, though.... she will probably let you know when she's ready. Books, videos, talking about it. Letting her watch when you use the bathroom, etc....but don't push it, it will only make you more frustrated and angry in the end (at least such is the case with me). We actually started putting him on the potty at night and first thing in the morning and that seemed to do the trick. One morning he told me, I don't want to wear a diaper anymore. I want to wear chonies. And that was it. A couple of accidents later he was potty trained. #2 was another whole story, but it got there.
    heartshaped_box

Answer by heartshaped_box at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2009