My baby has her first cold! Any advice?

My dd is 10 months old and exclusively formula-fed. She's caught her first cold. What can I do to help her? I have the humidifier running, I've given her Tylenol, wiped her runny nose, etc. But she seems so crabby and irritable. I'm tired emotionally and physically because I'm afraid she'll get a stuffy nose and stop breathing in the middle of the night, and so I haven't been sleeping well.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know you feel helpless, but get some rest yourself. The more worn down you get, the more likely you are to catch it. Trust me, it is truly awful to be coming down sick when your little one is getting better and wants to play. A stuffy nose won't stop her breathing - she'll just breath through her mouth instead... just like you do. Nap when she does, all day today.

Don't worry if she doesn't want to eat any food or formula. The critical thing is fluids. If she won't take her formula, try pedialyte. Keep that humdifier going, it will help thin out the muck in her nose.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The only thing that helped my daughter when she had a cold was Vicks baby Vapor rub. Every night I would bathe her then rub that on her chest and back and even on her toes and back of her arms. It seriously helped so much!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I tried vapo rub on my son once and he freaked. It gets that kind of warm feeling to it and he did not like it. They do sell a vapor plug in and it works pretty good. It's like the glade plug in but with vicks in it. I have also used the triaminic vapor patches. I used them all the time too. Get some baby saline and spray up her nose several times a day. She'll hate it but it will help. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• W/ the vaporub, be SURE it's the baby kind it's different than adult kind which they can't use.

That said, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Warm baths/showers help stuffy noses, and if you are seriously concerned to the point of not sleeping, just put her in bed with you and make your SO sleep on the couch. I do that with my daughter who is getting over a cold right now. When stuffy noses are really bad I try to get her to sleep in the crook of my arm and prop us both up semi-upright to help with drainage.

Remember to sleep when you can, b/c cranky and tired mommy isn't going to help baby get better.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 1:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you but my daughter is 9 mo. and we have been doing the baby vicks and I also have a vaporizer in her room with vicks in it, she hasn't been eating much food but as long as she's drinking I don't mind. She's been getting up about the time we go to bed so what I've been doing is giving her a bottle then and just reclining back on the couch or chair with her until she falls asleep good and another good thing I did was propped one end of her crib mattress up a notch so it's at an incline and put her head at that end and that's helped with her coughing and drainage issues. I've called the phone nurse and there is really nothing they can give cuz it's a virus so just tough it out I guess & hope it gets better. Good luck & hope ur little one feels better soon, and don't be afraid to get some rest yourself, I've been napping with mine!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 2:35 PM on May. 14, 2009