Questions about a 6 wk old

I have a few questions about my 6 wk old son. I am a new mother.. Please help!

1) When will he have better head control? He scares me when I am walking with him he throws his head back. He has almost fell out of my arms a couple of times.

2) He weighs 12 pds and is 23 inches long..When should I start him on baby food? He is taking 5 ozs every 3 1/2 hrs during the day & at night he takes 6 ozs every 3 1/2 hrs.

3) His circumcision is still really red and a few drops of blood has been on his diaper. Is that normal?

4) When is it safe to take him in the store with me? I am afraid he will get sick... Is it ok to take him now??

Thank you!!

newmom2be202

Asked by newmom2be202 at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO SOLIDS UNTIL 6 MONTHS. And you can probably take him to the store now. I took Emi at 4 days. lol
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• 1) He probably should be getting control soon.

2)Baby food at 6 months old.

3)That doesn't sound normal, my son didn't have that problem. I would call the dr.

4)I would say it would be okay now. I usually tried to shop during slow times at the stores when my son was younger.
    Anonymous

• How are you holding him when you walk? If he is 6 weeks, holding him in a lying down position or facing away from you would probably work better. JMO. And he should be ok going to the store as long as strangers arent poking their face into his carrier or touching him! And of course wash your hands frequently.
    Anonymous

• Better head control comes with tummy time. Make sure he gets plenty of tummy time, everyday.

In general, healthy babies are started on solids at 6 months. Starting him on solids early can cause digestive problems, weight problems, and will not help with sleep any better at night. The old myth of stuffing a kid with cereal before bed so he'll sleep is just that - a myth. Your doctor will be able to guide you on when to give solids if he has special nutrition needs or other medical problems.

I have no advice on the circumcision except to call the office and ask.

You can take him to the store. I'd suggest you drape a blanket over his carrier or stroller to discourage strangers from touching him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Head: ALWAYS support the head when you are holding him. Don't assume he can do it. Give it more time. Each baby is different but until you know he can then support his head.

Food: It's too soon for solids. Keep him on formula. Try about six months. If he's really fussy you can try cereal at about 3 months but don't rush it. It might clog him up. Your doctor should be able to tell you when to progress on to solids.

Circumcision: was it done at birth or recently? Are you pulling the skin back and keeping it clean? He should be due for a dr visit soon and you can ask then.

Store: He CAN go but with this swine flu stuff out there I'd wait a while or go when stores are not crowded.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Always support the head that way if he flings himself back you have him and he won't fall.

I introduced some cereal at 41/2 months. ask you doc what his/her preferance is.

Always pull back the foreskin and make sure it is clean. Put vasoline and I mean a lot on it at each diaper change, make like a soft serve ice cream cone on top of his penis with it.

I took my kids out since the time they were born. Just use your own epuipment and wash your hands.

Anonymous