• In the Spotlight:

My baby is crying and nothing will calm him down.

He's 3 mos old and I think he may be teething. I know for a fact he's gassy. He's been fed fairly recently and his diaper is changed. He's napped and refuses to go back to sleep. I've given him Orajel, gas drops, and Tylenol. I've put him on the floor, in the swing, rocked him in his carseat, held him and walked with him and now he's in the bouncy seat next to the computer. He's still screaming and I'm not sure what is wrong with him or how to calm him down!

amyt89

Asked by amyt89 at 1:16 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try and burp him. My son would get belly aches and burping him helped. Sometimes they just can't get it up. Burp him firmly. Try that and good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Try a bath with Johnson sleep well bath and give him a good massage with the lotion also you could try organic gripe water ( I get it at walgreens) its just chamomile and fennel it works for my daughter everytime she is fussy!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 1:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• also swaddle!!
    nursinghannah

• Take him in the bath or shower with you. If you have a sling/wrap, put him in that (if you don't, get one! They are a lifesaver!) If you have an exercise ball, sit on it while you hold him and bounce.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Gripe water worked for me too. If the cry is an EH sound burp him, if ts a neh sound the feed him. if its an eair (errrr) sound the he has upper gas. Ou, like ouch but without the ch means he's hungry.
    Just give hime love, try singing or humming. It doesn't have to be a lullaby song. I always hummed/sang "walk the line " by johhny cash. it was a song that i knew every word to. Also we had to lay my daughter in our lap, while your sitting up, parralel to your legs and rock from side to side. My husband did this and it worked everytime.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• tried malicon (spelling?) drops? Try taking him for a walk or a ride in the car. Sometime jostling them about like that gently can make gas move around

Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on May. 14, 2009

• p.s. try to remain calm. He will pick up on your negative energy if you get upset and he will cry more

• didn't they do recalls on gripe water?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Does he have colic? My DD didnt get it till she was about 2 mo. AND IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! I will probably get hell for this.....my grandma always swore by catnip tea. I said no way, i will not use that. After about a week of daily 8 hour fits I tried it. and it does help, it relaxes them!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 1:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I used to put my DD on a blanket on the dryer and turn it on. The heat and the vibrations worked everytime. A little tummy time won't hurt as long as you are near by.
    Anonymous