Was I bad?

I took my 2 yr old and the puppy for a walk today.. he waasnt in his stroller, but he was holding me hand and he was on the inside of the sidewalk, not by the street.. well we went for a longer walk then usual and we were walking by a busy street.. some older ladies walked pat us and commented that I should NOT let him be walking by the street.. he should be in a stroller.. HE WAS HOLDING MY HAND AND WAS ON THE INSIDE NOT BY THE STREET! I told them he is fine and doesnt lik riding in his stroller all the time and walking is good for him.. But then i started feeling bad.. i dk why maybe just being pregnant and emotional.. but do you think it was bad to let him walk instead of being in his stroller.. he knows to hold my hand and he didnt let go.. we wernt by the busy street for long only about 10 minutse of our 40 minute walk

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:22 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would think as long as he wasnt walking on the outside, closest to the street, and you taught him not to run towards the street and hold your hand it should be ok
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• No, not bad at all. People need to mind their own business! Hope you had a nice walk. And don't worry or care about what other people think! Yeah, maybe those pregnancy hormones are making you too emotional. Good luck with everything.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Of course not! Walking is great exercise for kids! Plus, it helps use up some of that energy and freah air.... Don't listen to those old ladies. They probably would have made some snide remark if he had been in the stroller!

you coulda had some real fun and handed him to one of the ladies and said "well, why don't you show me what I should be doing"
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 1:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with your child not being in a stroller when you were going for a walk. you tought him to hold your hand and to stay close to you the whole time you were out. and to me a stroller isnt going to protect them any more from a crazy driver flying off the road any more than if he was sitting in one. as long as he know to hold your hand and not to let go till you say its ok then thats fine.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• not aboput the question but i love your personal statement on your profile it made me laugh!
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 1:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You did the best thing giving him exercise. Many parent's use stroller's because it's easier than teaching their kids about walking safely.

Who know's, if you had him in the stroller the same women would give you grief for not letting him get exercise.

It's really none of their business, I can't believe they said anything to you!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I would have told those ladies that "I am his mother and I know whats best for my child. I am certainly not going to let him go running into the road." I get upset when random strangers try to tell me I am not parenting my own child right..
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 2:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• not at all! i take my son for walks without his stroller ALL THE TIME! it give's him some good exercise and he'll sleep like a baby at night. do what you feel is right and screw those ladies who told you different!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I do the same thing with my daughter (who just turned two today). He's your kid, so your parenting style has to work for you and him and not for random old ladies with their noses in other people's business, lol. I think it's awesome that he knows not to run out into the street and to hold your hand. Can I ask how you get him to walk the whole 40min? My daughter loves going for walks with me, but after about ten minutes she wants to stop and sit down and play with sticks or something, lol.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 11:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with that....you know your child, you know that he will hold your hand and not try to run away from you....I could do that with my 2.5 year old grandson, but not my 2 year old granddaughter.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:58 PM on May. 14, 2009