Would you be mad If your landlord got you a "USED" stove?

Ours has been on the break down for 2 years... its very old only one burner has worked for the past year and our oven has caught on fire more than I can count. SO finally our landlord is getting a new stove, but its used. I've been waiting all week for it and still NOT here. They place he bought it from.. cleaned it and sprayed the dials and the numbers rubbed off. (so no we are waiting for new dials" Im just mad that its used. Would you be mad? We have been good tenants for 7 years! ugh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well no I wouldn't be mad. at least he is getting you a stove that works. it is better to have a used stove then none at all. be happy with what you are given...sorry if that is too blunt. you don't have to have every thing new.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• wow 7 years? if you've been a tenant that long I would think the landlord would have high standards for you and give you a good brand new stove. but at least he got you one (trying to look at the bright side lol)! I've dealt with a slumlord before. I'll never rent from him again!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:40 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As long as it works properly, I would be happy to have it. Where we used to live, we had this really old gas stove. The oven was little off, I had to set it about 50 degrees higher when I used it but that's not a big deal. My dad came to visit and said his mom had the same kind of stove growing up. I didn't care that it was old, I cared that I was able to cook, and able to do it safely.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yep I happy to get any stove have asked him for 2 years. I just know the ppl who moved out next to me has a new one and lived there a year. I dont have to have everything new. Our apt is crappy.. we dont have a door on one bedroom, no door handle on bathroom. Dish washer dont work, nasty carpet. Our kitchen light doesnt work... I had to installe a light for us to use. Im ready to move out.... :) Just dont wanna clean anyones used stove.... hopefully its clean..............
    Anonymous

• well, I would wait and see if it works better than the stove that you had before. I had a slumlord once before as well. Our refrigerator didn't work and he said he was getting us a "new one" well 3 days later he brought us our "new" fridge. It was a piece of crap. It worked okay for about 3 days and then we lost a whole fridge of food (again). My husband called him and he admitted that he had PICKED IT UP OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!! I was furious (to say the least) The next day he brought us another "new fridge" which was also used, however it worked until we moved out the following month. We had so many problems with that asshole we couldn't deal with it anymore.

Anonymous

• I would be disapointed, but I think I would have to look at it this way;
    If I were just moving in there it would be a used stove and I would not question it, just be happy the unit had one.
    Anonymous

• I would be irritated at the landlord being such a cheapskate. I'd think he would want to have my safety in mind rather than picking up a used stove that he doesn't know the history of. On the other hand, I guess you really can't choose what you get.

Can you buy your own stove and just take it with you if you were to ever move? Most laws state that the landlord must have a stove in place for a tennant so when you take it with you, you'd have to prove it is your's and he'd have to provide one for the next tennant. If I wanted everything to be new and to make sure it was what I wanted, I'd probably just get one myself.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• as long as it worked i wouldnt complain much what do you expect it took him 2 years to get you a newer one at all.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As long as the new one works and isn't catching on fire, I wouldn't be too upset. Maybe the economy is affecting him as well and he just can't afford a brand new one at this time.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't know your financial status but right now, is such a good time to buy. I bought my house for over a 125,000 and my mortgage was 550/mo. Which is typically less that an apartment.
    YOu should look. Even if you buy a small fixer upper ansd slowly work on it.
    Anonymous