Should I go ahead and start pumping?

I'm 32 weeks and I've been leaking a little colostrum for several weeks now. It's not much, not even enough to need a nursing pad. I've heard the colostrum is a lot more nutritious than breast milk. So should I try to pump a little and freeze for her? Can you freeze colostrum like you can breast milk?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 1:51 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I agree with the previous answers. Pumping could cause contractions so I would avoid it. You want the baby to nurse to build your supply, so if you're giving bottles right away-you may have latch & supply issues as the baby might prefer the bottle and the pump won't be as effective as the baby would be when nursing on demand.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• dont pump yet! you probably wont get much anyways! the colostrum will still be abundant when your baby gets here! it wont be full out breastmilk till you nurse and nurse and nurse to get the supply established! dont freeze colostrum because nutrients will get lost. but yes you can store breastmilk (wait at least a month before you pump)...but nursing "from the tap" is the best thing to do.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Don't pump, nipple stimulation can cause you to go into labor.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others as well.... don't pump yet.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:08 PM on May. 14, 2009

• No, no pumping yet. Too much nipple stimulation with that and you can go into premature labor. Your milk won't even kick in enough to pump until after the baby is born.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• No. no pumping until after baby arrives.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:50 PM on May. 14, 2009