How can I get my daughter to stop wanting a bottle at night?

She is 9 months old and she gets up twice in a night still wanting a bottle. I think she expects it. What have you done to get them to stop wanting a bottle and sleep all the way through the night? Any suggestions?!

ChristyJ310

Asked by ChristyJ310 at 1:54 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my son woke up hungry, I fed him. if he's hungry, he should eat. he self-weaned off night feedings when he was 10 m/o!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you think it's habit and not hunger, switch to water. Many kids quit waking up once they stop getting that bottle of milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:08 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If she's still taking a full feeding, she's still hungry. Part of it could be habit, but she's still an infant so that's your call why she's waking.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14 - offer water rather than milk. That is what we did with my second son when he still wanted that nighttime feeding at 10 mos. I think we did it two or three times and then he simply stopped waking up. Be prepared for a bit of fussiness the first time,

shimimama

Answer by shimimama at 2:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Make sure she gets enough to eat a couple hours before bedtime. Though it will be tough for a few nights, you'll just have to take it away.
    Anonymous

• She's only 9 months old and growing at an amazing rate, she is most likely still hungry. Twice a night isn't a big deal at her age, if it was every hour or two then I would wonder. How as parents do we know whether or not they are hungry, the only way we know for sure is to follow thier cues, I would hate to think of my child waking up hungry and me thinking it was a habit. KWIM?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you don't think its really due to hunger, just try cuddling and rocking. If a 'bottle' is wanted or is a comfort, try water.
    BelleBrinaMom

Answer by BelleBrinaMom at 11:47 PM on May. 14, 2009