When does a baby outgrow the swing and bouncy seat? what about the Bumbo?

I know some of you are thinking just read the manual but I don't have them as I got these as hand me downs. She just sat up on her own for a few seconds yesterday and is not even 17lbs yet and will be 6mths in 2 days. I live in a small home so I am looking forward to putting these away lol. But I want her to have entertainment when I need to clean or when my 4yr old needs me.

heartlineMama

Asked by heartlineMama at 1:57 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter sat up earlier so she was done with her bumbo by like 5 1/2 mo. she was trying to push herself out of it. She was done with the bouncy seat at about 3 months and the swing at about 5-6 months, I have friends though that their kids are still in the swing and are 11 mo. old, just depends how she does in there, mine tried getting out of it and kept leaning forward in there so it was time to put it away. Just use your best judgement, if she's not too big for it and can still use it safely then let her be in them, that will help you out too! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• It really does depend on the model and it's weight limit. I'd suggest you look on line for the company's customer service number and call and ask.

As for the bumbo - there is no weight limit, just an unofficial size limit. When your child stands up and his legs stay trapped in the seat leg openings, then he has outgrown it. Having to peel the seat off your child's rear end every time he sits in it is a sure sign he is too big. Just remember to never, ever use a bumbo on a raised surface - this is a floor seat only.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:04 PM on May. 14, 2009

• actually, most swings and bouncy seats you can go online to the manufacturer's website and find the manual. I bought two exersaucers online and neither had the manual and was able to go on Fisher Price or whoever's website and the manuals were there. You can also look online at stores and find the product and most will have the weight limit there.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:07 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It's usually 25 pounds for a swing I believe.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Our manuals said when they can sit up on their own to stop using them. It becomes a safety hazard...I know because I didn't pay attention to it because my oldest was only 4 months when he started sitting up on his own. He sat up in the swing and proceeded to flip forward and was hanging by the seat belt (this was before 5 point harnesses in swings)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It depends on the baby - I have four kids and each "quit" the swing and bouncy at different ages. As long as your baby is within the weight restrictions - most swings are up to 20 lbs, with a few that handle 25 lbs; not sure about the bouncy seat - and enjoys them, she'll be fine. My youngest is almost 5 mos and I've already packed away the swing. She much prefers to be sitting in a high chair.
    shimimama

Answer by shimimama at 2:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Oh, and I don't know about the bumpo thing. I never used one, but I think if they're mobile it's pretty useless?

My kids were sitting early and too doggone ROUND to fit in one! rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Most swings are 20 - 25/26 pounds, some if they can sit up on their own. My daughter used her swing until she was 14 months old. She still loves the darn thing and now swings her babies in them. We have the really nice one that plugs in. (Yay for plugs!)
    The bouncy seat I would discontinue when she is looking like she can get out of it. You should be able to look up the weight limit online. Move to a playpen if you need to keep her in place. Same thing with the Bumbo.
    My daughter at 18 months likes to sit in her Bumbo and watch TV, but she can get in and out when she wants to.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 2:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We were out of them by 8 months.
    Anonymous

• A lot of different answers on these questions... My daughter will be 6 months this week and she still uses her swing when she is in the mood and uses her bumbo from time to time. She is getting use to a high chair when feeding. I haven't used the bouncy in some time now because I had been using the swing and bumbo. She has also been using a jumperoo since 4 months of age. She loves it and can't get enough of it. That's what has helped me the most with being able to get things done when needed. As far as weight restrictions, I would follow the other answers about that with checking on line for safety reasons. I think as long as she isn't trying to get out of them and isn't past the weight, she would be good.
    Valerie69

Answer by Valerie69 at 11:14 PM on May. 14, 2009