How good are my chances of twining?

Here it goes:
My mother's mother was a sister to a set boy/girl twins. The girl of that set went on to have girl/girl twins, no idea whether they were fraternal or identical.

Also my father's mother was a sister to a set of girl/girl twins and one of those went on to have a set of their own. My father's sister also has a set of girl/girl twins.

I am TTC#3 and want to know how likely it is that I conceive twins. I am 25 years old, and I have 2 sons.

I have read so many things on all different kinds of supplements that can be taken to up the chances of twins. I am seriously thinking about using them, but I am a very religious person and would not want to be bypassing God in any way.

I really want to leave it up to the almighty but then I think to myself, well he gave us the intelligence to make use of such things perhaps this is just what he wants us to do.

I don't know what to do & need to decide fast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• TWINS RUN ON BOTH MY HUBBY'S SIDE OF THE FAMILY AND MY SIDE AND GUESS WHAT WE HAVE TWIN GIRLS..CHANCES ARE VERY GOOD!!!
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 2:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It sounds like your chances should be higher than the average woman due to your genetic history as well as the fact that you have already had two children (your chances do increase with the number of pregnancies you have). I think those factors have a much greater significance than any supplements you might take, but I don't think there would be any harm in taking natural supplements (ask your doctor if you are uncertain). I worry about people who are obssessed with having twins at any cost, but you do not sound like that sort of person. Good luck to you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have heard that your chances really have nothing to do with the father or what is in his family. Fraternal twins come from the women ovulating more than one egg at a time. This is something that can be heriteary from her side of the family. Like from your aunt, mother, or grandmother. Identical twins have nothing to do with family it is just random.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Talk to your doctor about the supplements. I don't see it as bypassing God. You'll only get pregnant with as many babies as you're supposed to have, anyways. Or not at all. It's ALL in his hands. Then again, I don't see birth control as bypassing God either. Birth control is not 100%, if God wants you to get pregnant, you will. I'm a perfect example of that. We were going to wait a while to have the third. God had other ideas. Soooo, I'm pregnant.

As a previous answerer said, fraternal twins on your side increase your chances. Nothing from the father's side or any identical twins do.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Sounds like you have a good chance of having twins but it wouldnt hurt to take the pills just in case. I dont think it could hurt.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• why would you want twins? i have em and it's tons of work!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:13 PM on May. 14, 2009