How did you get your toddler off the bottle?

My daughter, 22 months, is attached to the bottle. Seems like 24/7 she's asking for one. Now, I know it's a comfort thing for her as she is not attached to a special blankie or stuffed animal or baby doll. But everytime we get in the car or after a meal she is asking for a bottle and if I try and give her a straw sippy cup or a sippy cup w/ milk in it she throws a fit. Also, if I try and give her a bottle w/ water in it she throws a fit. It HAS to be a bottle and it HAS to have milk in it. Otherwise, it's temper tantrum city. Any advice or suggestions? TIA!

Christina7407

Asked by Christina7407 at 2:10 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as soon as both of my kids turned 1 i took all bottles and threw them away and gave them a sippy cup with milk. They didnt care so i didnt have the problem with the bottle but they are attached to there cups now if we go in the car or at bed they want them and my son has to have juice and my daughter has to have milk but lately we have stoped giving it to them in the care and we let them throw a fit and just ignore it now they dont care for the cup no more in the car but still struggling for bed time.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 2:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Great question b/c I'm having the same issue. She started to self wean and was down to 3 a day at 17 months, but then she had surgery and we're back to constantly again.
    I'm thinking I'm just going to have to ride out the fits. The problem is that I'm pregnant and want her off the bottle at least 3 months before this baby comes to try to keep from relapsing and I can't handle the crying. I'm too soft b/c of the hormones. I'm tempted to take her to Grandma's for a few days and have her do it. Hmmm, not a bad idea... ;)
    Good Luck!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 2:26 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I started my oldest on the sippy cup while he was still on the bottle (10 months). Same with my youngest (7 months). Then I took the bottle and binky away at 13 months. Neither child batted an eyelash. I was very lucky. I have many friends who have had a terrible time. I am interested in answers b/c I am due with my 3rd in 5 weeks and I am afraid this will be the one who gives me a hard time.
    Oh, what kind of sippy cups are you using and what kind of bottle? I used the Nubby sippy with my youngest. They are soft like the bottle nipple. Maybe you can convert your bottles to sippy cups? I can do that with my Avent bottles.
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Can she drink from a sippy. If she can the, this might sound harsh, but I would just take it away. Prepare her first and talk to her about how she is a big girl now and the bottles need to go to the babies. Then no more bottles and only give sippies. When she gets really thirsty she will drink out of it. Good luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am using just basic bottles and I have nuby straw cups and playtex cups w/ a spout and some w/ a straw. She does really well w/ the straw ones. Even if it does have milk in it. But she still gets in these moods where she needs to have a bottle. I have tried the nuby w/ the silicon spout but she's not dumb and knows the difference. I was thinking about just throwing them all away but I can't stand the screaming and the crying. I feel so bad like I"m being a bad mommy. I have tried even using one of her cups myself and showing her that big girls (like mommy) drink out of cups, not bottles and she's ok with that. But if she sees any type of bottle (soda, milk, my coffee creamer, etc) she asks for a bottle. I just can't win.
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 3:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Really, you just have to set your mind to it and stick with it. I know that probably sounds harsh and will definitely be hard to do, but you just have to remind yourself youre in charge, and its really whats BEST for her. My son didnt want to come off the bottle either, but we just stuck it out, and within 2 days, he was fine with the sippy cup. If theyre thirsty, theyre going to drink... and if a sippy cup is the only option they have, theyll take it. We just recently went through the "chocolate milk" battle... our son wanted to take choc milk to bed with him... but we gave him water and explained why he couldnt take the chocolate milk, and even though he was a bit sad, hes fine with it. So just stay strong!! Try it, for 2-3 days... only offering the sippy cup, and I think youll have success!
    Happilyevafter

Answer by Happilyevafter at 3:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Ok. So is there a better time of day to do it? She still takes one at nap and at bedtime. She is in daycare and in June will be there for nap. She is not allowed to have one there so I would really like her to be off it for nap time and during the day. I'm not so much worried about bedtime. But I don't want to confuse her either.
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 3:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I threw them all away and dealt with the whining for a little while
    AlyssaRob1416

Answer by AlyssaRob1416 at 7:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Your just going to have to go through the temper tantrums...either now or later. It usually takes about 3 days, in my experience, then they finally give up...but you have to be consistant...don't give in or you'll have to start all over again!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:54 PM on May. 14, 2009