Do you have a child that gets into things?

My ds has thrown the salt shaker in the toilet and tried to flush it down. He put my mascara all over himself. (My dh thought it was soot.) He spilled a whole bottle of Sea Breeze. He spilled a bottle of nail polish on the floor and carpet, and then, proceeded to paint his feet with it. Two weeks ago, he wrote all over the coffee table with permanent marker. It took me an hour to scrub it off using a damp wash cloth and baking soda. He spilled red Kool-Aid on the carpet. Two towels and a lot of carpet cleaner later, it was a pink stain. I put the cleaner on the counter and took the towels to the laundry. Decided to wash a load. Came back upstairs and found that ds had gotten ahold of the carpet cleaner and had sprayed our 7 wk old puppy while it was in the crate. He turned to me and said, "I helping." He has done much more than this. Have any of you had days and children like this?

dustbunny

Asked by dustbunny at 2:13 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah anon is stupid every child i think gets into things and this is no matter of how much you keep your eye on them lol! my children are the same it seems for example my mother just bought a new flat screen tv hkad it for a day we went over there i still dont know were she got the crayone but while me and mother was setting in the same room she managed to pull that crayon out and in 2.5 second crayon all over that tv wow!! oh and the fridge ahhh right !! laundry! sugar mied with flour,yummy! chocolate syrup all over and well i can go on and on a three and a four year old need i say more !
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 2:46 PM on May. 14, 2009

• LOL, I have the same issue. And as she gets taller she can reach more things. We baby proofed really early. It's hard b/c you don't always remember that you forgot to zip your purse until you find the contents strewn across the living room or in the toilet. I still can't find my debit card... ;)

DD has 'bathed' her baby doll in the toilet "Baby, bath!", eats dog food constantly, tries to drink the dog's water or dumps it everywhere, learned how to open doors, loves to use wipes on everything so we go through a lot.

Fortunately, all the really bad stuff is kept locked up and I don't wear makeup, but she loves to get into her Grandma's. I have baby locks on all my desk drawers and cabinets, gates everywhere, it's ugly but it works.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 2:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Wow, he needs to be taught not to touch things that don't belong to him. He is playing with cleaning supplies and things he should not be touching and that should not be in his reach. Do you punish him for doing these things? Our daughter is 8 months old and she gets told no 3 times and then gets her hand or leg tapped if she doesn't listen. She knows she's not allowed in the bathroom or the kitchen and we don't use gates or shut the doors. It sounds to me like you need to punish him before he burns your house down. Why are you leaving things in his reach like this? Nail polish if closed right is hard to open, why are you leaving markers within his reach? If he were mine he would be scrubbing the walls as well. Good luck with him and I hope you get control before he turns on the oven and burns your house down.
    Anonymous

• LOL "I helping" is the phrase that is sure to strike fear into my heart! Ignore the anon poster above... you can set boundaries, keep them safe, and teach proper behavior without smacking anyone, ever. Better, even.

Since you weren't asking for advice I'll just say that yes, and it is totally normal!! :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Some of those could possibly be avoided. My dd gets into stuff all the time. We keep the bedroom doors closed for now (until she figures out how to open them!) and htat helps a lot. We try hard not to leave any pens or markers laying aorund. She's only allowed drinks in the kitchen, that sort of thing. But she still finds the dog food and eats it and sneaks in an open door and puts all the toilet paper into the toilet.

Anon has a point about setting limits but is a bit extreme to expect your child not to go through an open door. Maybe at 9 months, but at 2, good luck!

You can't stop a child form being curious and all your safe guards will eventuall be over come by your little hudini! :)
    Anonymous

• My son is 2 1/2. He knows how to open doors. He will walk out the front door naked. I have been locking the front and back doors. He uses chairs to get whatever is on the counter. My cleaning supplies are locked away. I would like to see how you handled situations like that when you were frustrated. They only thing that I did was send him to his room, so I could laugh. I certainly didn't want him to think that he was getting away with it. He knew better. Please, keep the stories coming. I need a good laugh. It is nice that I am not the only one. My parent's curse has finally come true. They told me that they hoped I would have a child just like me ;-)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• OMG....I had the worst day like that with mine yesterday, I have two 2 year olds, one lives with me I babysit the other 5 days a week full time. They were driving me CRAZY yesterday!! They got into everything and were cranky and defient...I about lost my mind, I ended up breaking down and crying by bedtime! Some days are just like that with kids this age! Remember....This too shall pass!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• oh my yes the only anwer is its just kids mine is 4 and two and are doing this......u need to be firm and be on top of telling no and correcting it once the child turns 2 start time outs or it will get worse...trust me that is my problem with my 4yr old......it will get better that is what i keep telling my self it will pass and get better.....
    jess105

Answer by jess105 at 11:03 AM on May. 15, 2009