Biking with little ones?

I would like to ride bikes with my kiddos, instead of walking or taking the van into town. I'm just wondering how to make that safe, or if we need to wait until the children are more independent.

My kids are 6, 4.5, almost 3, and 16 mos... I would have the two youngest in a trailer, I suppose, and then the girls riding behind me on their bikes with helmets. (One is still using training wheels.)

It's about 2 miles into town, with good sidewalks and a "yield to pedestrians" state law that is taken pretty seriously. Lots of bikers and joggers and women with strollers... but I've just never known anyone who even attempted to bike with a 4:1 kids to adults ratio. Am I insane to consider it?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 2:23 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• personally i think that 2 miles one way is a long way for a 4 year old to ride, then she has to behave while in town and ride all the way back. Just seems like a lot for a 4 year old but that JMO.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I used to do it with a 3:1 ratio. I had 2 kids in the trailer & one on her own bike. I would start will smaller distances & work up to the trip to down. Make sure your trailer has reflective strips & check your helmet laws--some states require them for children in trailers (or so I have heard). Bring water & snacks. Don't assume your kids will just love the trailer. My son did but my youngest daughter would occasionally get fussy. Let them bring a fav toy. Unless your little ones are best friends, consider getting a seat for your bike & have one in the trailer, one on the back or let your 4 year old trailer as well. The other option would be those half bikes that connect to the back of your bike. It is a seat, handlebars, & back tire but no front tire as it has a hitch to your bike. Might be a better option for your 4 y.o. & you can still hook a trailer behind. Plan a place to rest once you get to town. Good luck
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2009