how many naps and how long?

my daughter is 14 months and i was wondering what time i should give her a nap and how long. right now she is taking one nap and 12:30 or 1 for about 2 hours. but she gets really cranky around 5 or 6.

kimmys312

Asked by kimmys312 at 2:33 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How long is she sleeping at night? One nap is prob. fine at that age especially if she isn't used to taking 2. What time is she going to bed and waking? When my DS was that age he would go to bed at 6:30 and wake at 6:30. We couldn't get him to wake any later so by putting him to bed early, we ensured that he would get the 12 he needed at night. If your daughter is getting crabby that early she might need an earlier bedtime. At that age kids need about 13-15 hours of sleep a a day.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is two, and hes only taken one nap for as long as I can remember. So, what I decided to do was postpone the nap as late as I possibly could... which ended up being 1/130... he naps until about 3 or so... sometimes longer, but when that happens, I usually wake him up. Then he's ready for bed around 8. He was really good at "tricking" us into thinking he wasnt tired.... but we just came up with this schedule and stuck too it... I guess its really just about consistency.... some kids dont need as much sleep as others. I know a lot of people might say that kids a certain age " need" a certain amount of sleep but no two kids are the same... I guess it also depends on how much sleep shes getting at night... if shes sleeping a lot of hours overnight, she might not necc need two naps a day... but really- its just about what works for you! :]
    Happilyevafter

Answer by Happilyevafter at 3:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• myson is 19 mos old....and i let him take one nap usually 2 hrs. sometimes 3. mine gets crany too before bedtime, but i distract him with toys or books...something like that. they'll get used to having one nap after awhile. they have to adjust to it.
    crystal27b

Answer by crystal27b at 3:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We do naps after lunch, around noon. With my 2 year old it's hard to get him to take one, so I normally just put a movie in for him, and we have quiet time. But with my 14 month old I usually let him sleep until he wakes up, unless it's just to long then I'll wake him up.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:47 AM on May. 15, 2009

• my 13 month old did take 2 naps & she might be changing to just one.. its only been about a week or so, so i cant tell yet but if she is changing i like this schedual better sence it gets her to bed earlier. she use to take 2 naps & the 2nd one would end up being as late as she could possably make it, so while other kids r going to bed my lil one is taking a nap n waking up all bright n sunny n ready to play again when were ready to go to bed.

since i am all for the one nap thing i would suggest a later wake up time in the morning, that way she will take her nap a lil bit later, n then be ready for bed later also.
    if thats not going to work for u, try to get her to nap a little longer for her one nap so she gets enough energy to stay up for more hours later.
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 1:58 AM on May. 16, 2009

• what i do if i want to keep her up longer is let her do her thing till its her time when she ususally is ready to take a nap, then either give her a bath till she wants out, or take her outside for a walk.. she is big on fighting sleep so so she will ususally like any excuse to stay up longer, till shes to tired to even fight it anymore then i will put her down easily & she will sleep for longer.
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 2:01 AM on May. 16, 2009