How do I show my daughter's kindergarden teacher how much she really means to me and our family! She is a regular teacher in a private school for "normal" students teaching my special needs daughter. She has done an absolutely fantastic job with her. Remarkable things have happened with my daughter's learning since Mrs. Chandler came to her class. I have send gift cards, chocolate, notes and verbal praise....would like some ideas on something bigger!

expressing thanks

QueenT21

Asked by QueenT21 at 2:38 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Trip to hawaii...
    Anonymous

• A thank you! A card is plenty,,,,
    Anonymous

• Why do you need to shower a teacher with gifts. I understand being "grateful" But Im sure she already gets it.
    Anonymous

• Contact the school and see about nominating her for teacher of the year.Also alot of talk shows host teacher of the year awards -I know Racheal Ray had.I would google it.I think being reccognized is often better than gifts.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 2:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A letter to her supervisor and the board of education would be a great idea.

Other than that. perhaps a GC to a shopping mall? or if you want to get expensive, how about a GC to a Bed and Breakfast not too far away. Or a party for the children in her class.

Answer by Bmat at 2:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Above had a great idea, Or write her a letter of recomdation. That will always look good in her portfio, if she ever wants to change jobs
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 2:44 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Get her something she can use in her classroom. Teachers love this because they don't always have the budget to buy the things they really want for themselves. I sell Usborne Books and More and many of my customers have put together gift baskets for their favorite teachers end of year gift. They're a huge hit and affordable www.ubah.com/u2688 I also sell Avon and most of my customers buy both. How about some books for her room and a few little pampering items for her? www.youravon.com/dhullum use code fsany for free shipping! You could do a whole nice basket for $30 easily :) Good for you for treating your daughters teacher so special :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Give her a gift card. Teachers spend a lot of their own money on classroom supplies. Get her a gift card to Target or Walmart or a teacher supply store. Somewhere that she can turn around and put right back into the classroom, since that's obviously where her heart is.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 2:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Go to a "paint your own pottery" place and paint a special bowl or platter for her....saying Greatest teacher and paint all the kids name in the class on it with little ladybugs on it or something like that. Personalized gift she can keep
    Anonymous

• I would start with a letter to her supervisors and her supervisors supervisor. Copy her on what you send. Explain first what your daughter's special needs are, then the improvements you've seen this year and the role this teacher has played in those changes.

Last year we wrote a letter expressing our gratitude to my daughter's preschool teacher. It was not for the same reasons for doing so but close. DD has food allergies and sending her off to even preschool was a little nerve wracking. Her teacher was awesome and we wanted to express that appreciation. When I handed the teacher her copy of the letter, she began to cry without even reading it. Just knowing someone appreciated her enough to submit a letter of praise for her administrative files was overwhelming. Just knowing someone recognized her efforts was huge for her. She still talks about that letter over a year later and what it meant to her.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:17 PM on May. 14, 2009