I'm packing my hospital bag how much and what should I bring for the baby?

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 2:43 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The hospital usually has the baby in a tshirt and blankets, so while you are there, you don't need any clothes for him. You just need an outfit to take him home in. And be sure to bring comfy clothes for yourself too. Those hospital gowns are not fun to wear...nor are the mesh underwear they give you.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• to add on to mkemom519's post...if you plan on breastfeeding right away make sure you bring your nursing bra, tops, and if you plan on using a specific pillow to help support the wee one. That way you get practice with those before leaving the hospital too.
    JenAndCian

Answer by JenAndCian at 2:48 PM on May. 14, 2009

• the hospital will provide diapers, wipes, maxi pads and shampoo and soap for you, but it doesnt hurt to bring extra! for you: lots of underwear, socks, a robe (if you think you'll be willing to walk around outside the room), camera, baby book and phone numbers (call relatives and friends..."baby's here!"), dvds, music, book, change of clothes for when you leave. if you plan on nursing, bring a nursing bra, boppy pillow. for baby: going home outfit, diapers, wipes, carseat!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Be sure to take a couple outfits in different sizes (premie, newborn, and 0-3 months). I brought a newborn size outfit and it turned out wayyyyy too big for my little girl. She was 7.5 and 20 inches BUT she wore premie clothes for almost 2 months.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• LOL, I LOVED the mesh undewear, but I had a section. My panties were too tight. I begged my nurse for more b/c I wanted them for home.
    That said, the hospital typically provides everything but a going home outfit. That doesn't mean you don't want to use your own stuff. For example, I prefer Swaddlers and if the hospital used something else I would bring my own. I also don't like the hospital blankets, I find them rough. So I brought my own blankets too.
    I had a list of phone numbers of people to call when labor started, another for almost there, and another for baby is here. I assigned them to family members to make them feel helpful and keep them out of my hair.
    For you, Robe, socks, going home outfit, nicer pads if you prefer, book or other entertainment for wishful thinking, toiletries for your after birth bath.
    For SO, something to keep him busy when he's annoying you, extra outfit if he stays, camera.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 2:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My hospital provide virtually everything. I used almost nothing in the engormous bag I packed. All I needed was:
    1. Chapstick
    2. Hair Tie
    3. Brush
    4. Robe (don't use your own clothes will there, afterbirth is messy)
    5. Going home clothes for myself and my baby.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• For baby, all I used was a going home outfit. For me, all I used was a going home outfit and a toothbrush! :)

I brought cameras and clohting and all, but didn't need much as hosp proivdes it and I took any of their extras home.
    Anonymous

• The hospital here provided everything for us. All I brought was an outfit to take him home in.
    Anonymous

• I just had my baby 6 wks ago and you don't need much of anything. Our hospital supplied the diapers, formula, clothes and a few grooming items. They gave her a bath every morning before they brought her to me. Our hospital also allowed us to bring a sleeper for her to wear for her pictures that they post online and on the bulletin and for the records. What I used from home the most was bibs. She spit up alot so they were real helpful untill the we found one she could keep down. I also found a blanket real helpful. Also, our hospital gave us formula and diapers to get by with for the first couple of days. The most important is the take home outfit. :) Hope this helps!
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 4:02 PM on May. 14, 2009