What is your honest opinion about private schools, do you think they are better than public ones???

fairymom526

Asked by fairymom526 at 2:51 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i attended private school 7th and 8th grade. I was very emotionally troubled and mom thought private school and "finding god" would help me. the class was very small. I hated it. the kids made fun of me a lot and it was hard to avoid
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If I payed a good chunk of change to send my kids to private school..It better be better then public schools. Why send them to a private school if they are the same.

Answer by louise2 at 2:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• it depends on the area in south carolina we are in the lowest for education in the u.s.and then where i live only one school in our county meets south carolina standards and that school is taking nearly 30 students a class.so my son was homeschooled this year and will be going to private next year,but i went to this school so i know it is good.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 3:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think it's a generic question seeking a black-and-white answer that is in impossible to give. :) How's that for a response? Let me explain - is a private school better than public? Well, *some* private schools are better than *some* public schools. There are more factors involved than just private vs public labels. Where I live, the majority of the public schools in our district are just as good as if not better than the majority of the private school options. *Some* people opt to send their kids to private - more for the religious components of the day-to-day than the core curriculum. That doesn't make the overall program better or worse. It just is their choice. In some areas, public schools are failing miserably and private schools offer a better options. In other areas, public schools excel and private is just cash out of pocket without return on investment. There is no ONE answer
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You have to check out each individual school. Some private schools are not any better than public schools. Some are so much better. Ask yourself what exactly you are wanting in a private school and check to see a particular school meets your standards and desires. We have a Christian school within walking distance of our house, but because it doesn't offer the quality of education, both academically and spiritually, that we are wanting for our son, we opt to drive him 20 mins to a Christian school in the next town over.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• In general, yes.
    Private schools usually have smaller class sizes and a much lower student to teacher ratio. That lets the teachers spot trouble and work with the child one-on-one much more than in public school.
    Private schools also cost a lot more - so the parents tend to expect (demand) higher performance from their kids. One of the biggest factors in a child's education is how much the parents are involved. When public schools demand parent involvment, the students usually do just as well as at the local private schools. But many, many parents just send their child off to school and expect the teacher to do all the teaching.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Nope
    Anonymous

• It absolutely depends on where you live. We were able to get our daughter in an academically advanced elementary school (a few years ago rated by Redbook as one of the ten best in the country). Now she is finishing her 2nd year of a six year high school program; the school is consistently nationally ranked for their strong academics (it produced Michelle Obama), and she will graduate with at least one year of college complete. The equvalent private schools are around $20,000 a year.
    Yes, I am bragging; she is smart, but she also works hard.
    the chicago schools can be challenging , and they can be very rewarding.
    When you are considering a school, you will get the best idea of the quality of the school by going to parents meetings; in Chicago this means LSC and PTA.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yeah, it really depends on where you live. I live in a city where the public schools overall are a MESS, so we've chosen to send ours to a public school. My husband and I both grew up in relatively small towns and our public schools were good. It really varies from school to school!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have known those that have gone to not so good private schools, I've also known some that went to good ones, same goes for any schooling, I have seen good public and not so good public, as I have seen good homeschooling and not so good homeschooling.

There will always be those that make something good, and those that make it bad, schools, parenting, jobs, neighborhoods, cities, states nothing is immune from that, it all depends and if you have your doubts then you have a right to try it out and learn for yourself :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:06 PM on May. 14, 2009