Going from SAHM to FT Mom.. advice???

So I am going back to work full time after being at home with the kids for the past 5 yrs. I have worked here and there in that time, but I would work while my kids slept so that I was allways there with them during the day. But starting monday I will be going to work full time, mon - fri 8- 4:30. DH will be going back to college come fall, and plans on trying to cram 4 years into 3. I will work 8am to 4:30 for the next 6 weeks while I am in training, then will have an evening shedual so that I can be with the kids during the majority of their wake time, and so that dh can attend school.

I am excited and nervous. My kids are 5, 3 22mo and 11 mo. I am afraid taht in the 6 weeks of training, I will miss so much. I have worked really hard at getting the kids in a good routine, and we have such fun during the days. I am really sad to leave them. But we just can't do it anymore, dh has to get and education. cont....

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am worried that dh won't be able to handle all the demands that he will face for the next six weeks (although releived that he will experiance MY LIFE). I am worried that all my hard work to get everything inthe house moving smoothy will fall apart, that behaviors I have worked so closely with to change will come back.... and then when I do go to working in the evenings in six weeks... will I be able to do it all? DH says that he will be helping out with as much as needed... but once school starts, that is all I really think he should focus on.

Any advice to ease my fears? Any advice on how to make this transition easier for the kids? Any advice on how to let go of control of the domescit responsibilities for the next 6 weeks? Any words of wisdom... I just feel liek I am going to miss out on so much.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Be prepared for some things to end up in a mess and some things to not get done to your standards...or at all. It's a lot like when you first bring home a new baby and have to make adjustments until you fall into a rythym that works for you. Try to cut your husband some slack; don't expect him to do everything your way, and try to express your gratitude for the things he dose well (he may feel a little insecure when he sees how hard it really is). Try to cut yourself some slack too, because you won't be able to take care of everything - you really have to prioritize. Figure out what's REALLY important and what can slide. Try to think about the short term and long term goals - when we get past this 6 weeks we will _______, and when he gets through school we will__________. It will get easier in time. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Good luck! It's going to be a challenge.Try and get into a routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on May. 17, 2009