Toxoplasmosis????

I was wondering about cats and pregnancy.. A friend of mine has 5 cats and for some reason never cleans out the litter boxes... My husband doesn't want me over there because he is afraid that I will get sick. He tried to tell them why he didn't want me over there and they told him that it was a stupid reason. I know people say that you don't have to get rid of your cats. If I'm not coming into direct contact with the poop, but she doesn't clean it, am I still at risk?

DMEMcDuffie09

Asked by DMEMcDuffie09 at 4:32 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would stay out of her house just in case i dont think you are but thats just dirty and i wouldnt trust it. I have a cat and i make my DH clean it out every day so it dosnt get all grose.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes, stay away from the litter boxes. If they are in a separate room, I'd think it would be OK for you. But I'd wonder about her general hygiene if the litter boxes are not cleaned out, and the poor kitties! They hate dirty litter poor things. Ask your doctor about the question of whether you should go over there, though.

Answer by Bmat at 4:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Toxoplasmosis can be contracted by breathing in poo particles. Like if you were cleaning the litter box, the dust would contain particles.

You could ask your doctor to check and see if you have developed antibodies to it. If you hang out with this friend often, pre pregnancy, you could have easily developed antibodies and it wont be an issue.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, and we had cats, I was told that those who have indoor cats and change litter boxes often generally don't have anything to fear because their bodies already have been exposed to it.

If you are worried, I'd stop going over there. I couldn't be over there anyways because a full unclean litter box grosses me out!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Thanks for the quick answers! About being in another room... They are, but the whole house smells like dirty litter box.... I think that would be bad, right?
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 4:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• yes i think thats bad. Partly because if the box ixnt cleaned alot of cats will find somewhere else to go.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• This may be a first, listen to your hubby! LOL. Serioulsy, I would stay away. You don't want to take any chances when it comes to your LO.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Frankly, I'd be worried about a lot of other things in that house if the litter boxes are nasty. I can only imagine the other hygiene issues. I wouldn't go over there for that reason.

That said, indoor cats are unlikely to have toxoplasmosis. Cats that are outdoors or hunt and eat vermin tend to get it. Futhermore, even so IF the litter boxes are cleaned every day there is no danger since it takes day or two for the parasite to develop.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:18 PM on May. 14, 2009