soy formula

My wic clinic suggested i put my baby on soy formula for spitting up but it hasn't helped.I was just wondering if having her on soy right now will cause problems when it comes time to switch to regular cows milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no it wont. when i was a baby i was on soy formula and i love regular cows milk today and it doesnt bother me whatsoever. DS is on soy formula too and we have given him a sip or two or 2% cows milk and he hasnt had any problems either. as long as there is no history of lactose intolerancy, i wouldnt worry about it
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 4:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• How long has your son been throwing up formula? I would defiantly talk to your doctor about this. I know there are alot of kids who have had similar problems and they have some sort of solution to this problem. I hope your LO does better.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 5:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son had lots of tummy issues, including reflux, and we had to switch to hypoallergenic formula. If it reflux, your kiddo may need medication, but the ped will know. Try keeping baby upright longer after feedings - it may help! Google soy formula... there's some weird info on it, although I know lots of moms who have used it with no problems, and lots of healthy kids who started on soy then switched to cow's milk later.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• my son was on soy when he was an infant and I had problems at all switching him regular milk and to this day he does not have any issues w/reg milk, he's 3 now
    amys2boys

Answer by amys2boys at 1:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Soy protein is very similar to milk protein, so your baby may well be sensitive to both soy and milk. You may have to switch to something like alimentum if the soy is doing the same thing. As far as switching to whole milk at a year, it shouldn't be an issue. By that time, their tummy is more developed and can handle the milk protein better. I had to cut dairy out of my diet for my daughter for the same issue (milk protein sensitivity, she was breastfed, but don't worry, I'm not one of those moms that's going to say "Oh you should've breastfed and you wouldn't have these issues!" LOL obviously you could have because I did!) and she's 2 and a half and drinks cows milk with no issues, and I was able to start drinking milk again when she was 10 months old and she didn't have problems anymore.
    Anonymous