Should we put him in dance?

So my 5 year old does karate, and he loves it. I plan on putting my 3 year old in it as well as soon as he turns 4, but hubby and I are contemplating dance instead. The reason we think he might do better at dance is because he is constantly walking on his toes. The knuckles of his toes like a ballerina does. He can also do splits, and is amazingly flexible. I want to put him in the karate, because I want him to learn the self-confidence and skills for him to defend himself. But I don't want to waste any possible aptitude he may have towards dancing. I wont be able to afford both, so which would you pick?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 4:45 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd say karate. I love dance, but if he can only do one, karate not only is for self-defense, but it is for coordination, balance, reflexes, strengthening.... dance would include being able to move to music, perhaps playing a musical instrument would help with this.

Answer by Bmat at 4:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Try dance and see if he likes it. If not, then put him in karate. No reason why you have to stick with one forever - he's young enough to let him try different things and see what works. Dance is great because it helps with self-confidence, creativity and gross motor skills. If he doesn't like it or changes his mind in a couple of years, the put him in karate.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:50 PM on May. 14, 2009

• see wich one he wants to do then put him in which ever one he wants to do....i agree with JPsMommy605 though i would put my kid in dance then he changed his mind i would switch him
    Anonymous

• well i say if he's at that age where he has the mind capacity to reason. ask him what he wants to do. if he can't choose, then choose for him....both activity teaches strength, coordination balance and the most important thing discipline. and if he can't reason, pick which ones cost the least, lol
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 4:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• He has a speech delay, so talking to him isn't always the easiest thing. I think he is going to want to do what his big brother does, because he always wants to do what his brother does. And I think the karate will be cheaper because we get a discount since his brother already does it. But I like the idea of them following separate paths in life. I want the little one to know that he is an individual, and it's ok to not be exactly like his big brother. I'm so torn on this!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i agree with mammasyrup07 let him choose and if he cant then go with the cheeper one lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• you'll never know until you try. try it out and see how he likes it after a couple of classes
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 5:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• DANCE!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• See if the karate place and the dance place offer the first class free to see if he likes them. Then find out which one he likes more.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am a dance teacher and well, it is rare that boys will find interest in dance until they are a bit older they are more attracted to hip hop these days, starting about first grade. I do know that parents make the mistake assuming just because one sibling likes something the other will to, this is not true, we too often keep forgetting each child is different, with different personalities and different abilities. I am not saying putting all siblings in a single sport or event is bad, but I do know I would not limit to one activity for all siblings. I think you should let your son try different things, you can sign up for dance not order costume until you know for sure what he likes, try different dance styles don't just put him in ballet and assume he hates it, sometimes they like tap, sometimes jazz. If it were me, Id put him in gymnastics.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:41 AM on May. 15, 2009