God and Marriage

I got married in courthouse to a non christian husband. Is this a sin? Is the marraige still a marriage if I didn't do it in a church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God was there even if the judge did not recognize it. My husband and I were also married in the courthouse. We still believe God was present. He is everywhere and loves everyone. Marriage is not a sin.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 9:45 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Are you unsure of your marriage? Sounds to me like this may be more than just a religious issue.

Do you love him? Did you marry him because you love him? Is he okay with your faith? Are you okay with his beliefs? These are all questions you need to ask yourself. If the answer is "no" to any of them, then you need to step back and look at your relationship.

It's never a sin to marry someone, BTW.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes I lvoe him without a doubt, it's a just areligiouse issue I just now read something on how christians are supposed to only marry other christians. But then how do we spready God's word. HE ok with my religion, he won let me get the kids dedicated but had no issues with me and them going to church until they get older he doesn't wnt me forcing them to go to church. I( married him because I love him. He is agnostic I believes there is a God just not the God. I think the best way to say he is agnostic, he has a bad taste in his mouth from church.
    Anonymous

• Well, that makes a lot of sense, LOL.
    Seriously? Don't worry about it. If you love him, and he loves you, it's a good marriage, regardless of religion. And don't take to heart much that you read around here. Some women get . . . overzealous and a bit outspoken on what they believe.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I understand what you are asking. I don't know about marrying someone who is not Christian, but getting married through the state, is just that, a marriage in the eyes of the government. When you get married through the church, then it is considered a marriage in the eyes of God. I am sorry that he "has a bad taste in his mouth from church". Pray for him and your marriage, you never know what can happen, lol, he might change his mind, especially from your example. Good luck.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you love him... it's NOT wrong to have married the way you did... you were being senstive to his beliefs.
    Also you may want to sit down with him and try to come to some sort of agreement when it come to religion, but to be honest dear, if you are having doubts now, why did you marry? This all should have been settled prior to the marriage....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• So I am not married in the eyes of the Lord?
    Anonymous

• Keep being an example. For he is blessed through you. Also pray for him. There are many who have had their hearts soften through prayer the best example is St. Augustine thorough his mother St. Monica. She prayed very hard for him.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Answered at 4:16 PM on May. 14, 2009 by: Anonymous
    So I am not married in the eyes of the Lord?
    **

Yes, God recognizes your marriage. Church/pastor doesn't matter. Vows do!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• bellarosa stated "Christian, but getting married through the state, is just that, a marriage in the eyes of the government. When you get married through the church, then it is considered a marriage in the eyes of God"

But doesn't the bible also say something aong the lines of "What the law of your land holds to be true, then so shall I in Heavan." ?

Meaning if its a legal marriage in your land (country,state,whatever) then He will acknowledge the marriage in His eyes also.

IMO (Agnostic though it may be) Even when I was being raised as a Xtian, I was always taught that its the actions behind the vows that make the marriage. Words spoken (wether in a building of the state or in a church) are nothing but words without the emotion behind them. And that if you are married in your thoughts and deeds, then you are married in the eyes of God.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:56 PM on May. 14, 2009