Advice on Vaccines Please

ok... I know this is a controversal topic, but my baby goes for her first set of shots on Monday(other than her hep B which she already had) DTap and roto (which I don't want her to get because my friend's son got deathly ill from that one) and one more that I can't remember right this second, but please before I let my baby be injected with anything please share your advice, experiences, and opinions. I want brutal honesty... i don't care if it scares the crap outta me I really just want to know the truth....

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 4:53 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 kids and all are vaccinated and had no ill side effects. I was as well and healthy. You should really do your own research though because you WILL get biased opinions from both sides and that means not joining any groups here or going to any links posted here. Go to the CDC they have all the info.

Anonymous

• You're going to get lots of responses. Just wait!
    Anonymous

• CDC has there head up there ass- they would be the first to tell you "its safe"
    Anonymous

• my daughter didnt have any problems with the shots...i was scared and worried because of all the things you hear about things going wrong but it was fine no reactions or anything bad just cranky for about 20 minutes afterwards then we learned to give her kids pain relieveer before and she wouldnt get cranky because she didnt fel the needle poke her...
    Anonymous

• well if your friends son got sick off of 1 vaccine dont assume your daughter will. every baby handles it differently. my DS has gotten all of his vaccines so far and has had no problems. he cried during the shot since it obviously hurt him (i think it was the nurse poking him too hard not the shot itself). he was kind of crabby for a couple hours though. you can expect redness and a bump kind of at the injection site though. nothing to worry about...completely normal. also she might get a fever...just bring some baby tylenol and give her some right after the shots, then 6 hours after. if you usually wear a certain perfume or anything let her smell that right before...its shown to help reduce pain from the shots. you could also use vanilla. a flu shot is really all that is the most bothersome. theres a fever for a couple of days, but just give baby tylenol and let her sleep more often if she wants to. and dont forget comforting
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 5:00 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You really should speak franlkly with your pediatrician (write down your questions if you get nervous), and if you don't like their answers, or are afraid to ask, then you need to find a pediatrician that you ARE comfortable with and can trust is being honest with you! Pediatricians are not trying to harm your child nor omit important information that may affect your decision making--there is nothing in it for them if your child gets sick as a result.

In the meantime, you are better off just Googling infant and child immunization information. You are going to get a wide range of responses from the militant anti to pro vaccine groups, and the militant anti to pro passive groups as well as everything in between.

But for what its worth (because these threads ALWAYS go "there"), AUTISM, is NOT caused by vaccinations!!! It is a GENETIC disorder, and you cannot "give" someone a GENETIC disorder.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

If you have gone to the CDC then YOU would know that they DON'T. They do give you ALL the information on any vaccine.
    Anonymous

• LoriKeet- you are completely wrong about autism- Look it up, google it, whatever. Many kids who have been diagnosed have no prior Family "genetic " history.
    casd

Answer by casd at 5:06 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Lori is NOT wrong. There are plenty of parents who not NOT vax at all and have child(ren) with Autism People just like to scare others in thinking so. Genetic doesn't mean another family member had it, it's just the genes!

Anonymous

• duh- where do you get your genes??
    casd

Answer by casd at 5:09 PM on May. 14, 2009