Have any of you ever had an alcoholic drink at night after your baby went to sleep when you were breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I just had my 21st bday so we went out to a bar to celebrate. I didn't get drunk by any means, no where even close. But I fed my baby AND pumped before we went out. And she had a bottle (of BM not formula!) because even though i was fine i wasnt comfortable feeding her so soon after i had a few drinks. I ended up nursing again about 3-4 hours after my last drink. The rule of thumb after many studies is "Good enough to drive, good enough to nurse." Only about 2% of the alcohol at most will get to your milk, and depending on the circumstances, its generally perfectly safe to nurse about 2 hours later. To each their own though. I completely understand why a mom wouldn't want to drink while nursing. Its just something you have to research and make sure you're comfortable with the information. BTW my baby was completely fine :)
    kurokitty21

Answer by kurokitty21 at 8:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• yes why??
    Anonymous

• I have not, but I am assuming that you are wondering if it is hamrful to the baby. I have not had any, but would love one TALL glass of wine.
    Anonymous

• Uh, yeah. A drink or two won't hurt your milk.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i assume that she is wondering if it would harm her breastmilk. But even though I am a breastfeeding mom I have not done this but have read that it is fine as long as she does not consume large amounts of alcohol or strong liquor. I have also read that one should wait about 2-3 hours before feeding the baby again after consumption of light alcohol
    Anonymous

• Never done it because I felt that I could wait until I stop bf my son which happend at a year and a half. I heard that some may use a small drink to relax and enhance milk production. To each his own, I would just be afraid that something got into my milk supply. So I did what I though was best. If somebody else feels that a drink won't hurt the baby, by all means, to each his own.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes I have
    Anonymous

• Yes, I read that a drink or two is fine.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Hell yeah!!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:33 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I had a very rare drink with each baby. I would do it right after they finished feeding so it would be several hours before they ate again & I only had ONE glass of wine or ONE beer--no hard liquor. BTW, the old tale the Guinness will increse production in breastmilk was totally true for me. My cups they overfloweth!!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:54 PM on May. 14, 2009