Question about being low in iron

I'm taking a prenatal vitamin. I am not preggo or nursing, but we are going to start trying soon. I was just wondering if someone can be low in iron if they are taking a prenatal vitamin. It says that is has 28mg, but I have been tired and dizzy at times. I don't eat a lot of iron in my diet, so I was just wondering if anyone had any info. on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• Yes. My doctor put me on iron pills while I was pregnant and still now that I'm breastfeeding.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• yup , i was prego and taking iron and my doc said my iron was 3rd world country low lol!!!
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 5:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• What if I'm not pregnant. I don't have a baby taking the iron from me. Shouldn't 28mg. be enough iron for just me?
    Anonymous

• Yes you can be low depending on what you are taking it with. Certain foods block the absorbtion of iron, especially calcium rich foods like milk and green leafy veggies. Also caffine blocks certain vitamins, but I'm not sure if iron is one of them.

I tend to get anemic at times. I don't eat a lot of meat all the time and sometimes forget to take my vitamins. It can take a week to get my iron levels back up once they go down to the point that I feel dizzy and tired.

Take the vitamin with a b12 supplement (you can't overdose on b12) and with a glass of vitamin c rich juice. If you don't feel better in a couple of days then call the doctor to schedule a blood test.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Thanks, I usually do take it with milk at lunch. I also do drink 2 cups of coffee a day, which could be effecting it. Thanks for the info. I'll try what you said.
    Anonymous

• Here is great information on sources of iron: http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you end up finding out that you need iron I take a really great one if you need the name of it. It comes with vitamin c in it. Also Vitamin B12 is good for this and I take a great one for that too. Just email me if you want the name.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 10:18 PM on May. 14, 2009