Looking for advice on going back to school...

So here I am a single mom laid off and no job prospects...so I am considering going bck to school. I would need obviously financial assistance for school but also childcare as well as a little bit of cost of living...I get a good amt of child support but cant live on it and hate relying it anyway. People have told me going bck to school is possible for me in my situation but cant give me pointers on where to start. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• well first off there is always the possibility of going back to school online. thats what i do and its great! i can watch DS while i do my homework and everything. i love my school, i only have 1 class for every 5 weeks. if you want to know more about it then PM me.

definitely though financial aid and grants are your two choices for paying for it. unless you can find a scholarship (and you probably could since there are so many out there). as for childcare, some colleges have on campus childcare for moms going back to school. just look in to some of the local schools around you to see.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 5:07 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Start with your state unemployment office; they may have job training available. Next, a community college; this will be the least expensive option; you first stop should be the financial aid office. A local branch of a state university is another option. Stay away from for-profit schools.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• id get a job and go to school online...but be careful cuz some schools online are scams!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I school online and work online! It' wonderful because when I need a break from one, I just go work on the other!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 9:48 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am not quite sure how to actually answer your question since i don't know what exactly you want to go to school for. I can however tell you that there are many ways to get assistance for school. Online (like most have suggested) has it ups and downs. Just be sure to research the school befor you actually acept. Online is great though! I currently am in the process of obtaining my paralegal degree and it will only take about 8 months. The school I found deals directly with Paralegal studies and even offers its own in house student loans for those with less than perfect credit. I also know that there is a tremendous NEED for CNA's! (Certified nurses assistant) and believe it or not, its only a 2 wek course at the most and if you do the research, you can find places that are giving the course for free!
    markayda3

Answer by markayda3 at 10:20 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you are interested in Natural Health I would suggest that you do what did and become an Herbalist online. Get hooked up with Natures Sunshine and you are set. Email for more info.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 4:59 PM on May. 15, 2009