is it written in the bible that you CAN NOT drink

I have often wondered this. I am a new christian and I would love to buy a bottle of wine. Is it written anywhere in the bible that one should NOT drink at all? I know that it is said in there that one should not drink to the point of drunkeness. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think a glass or two of wine is perfectly fine. It doesn't say not to drink, it pretty much is just saying do not drink to the point of drunkeness. One drink (5 oz wine) DOES NOT make you drunk. In fact you are still legal to drive at that point. Also, it has been found that red wine actually benefits your health to have a few glasses a week so I do not see that it would be harming your body to have a glass of wine with dinner a few times a week. It doesn't even matter if your kids are in bed. Let them see you drink A GLASS of wine responsibly, enjoying it for the taste, not to get drunk. It teaches them early on to have respect for alcohol. Of course you don't want to drink to excess around your kids, but one drink doesn't hurt.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:55 AM on May. 15, 2009

• In the old testament it does, but since you are a Christian you should follow the teachings of Christ and the New Testament. Just dont be glutonous.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with you and do believe that it says alcohol is fine as long as you are not drunk beyond repair. However I know that my pastor preaches that any drinking is bad, but so is overeating, greed, gossiping, you catch my drift. Personally I would drink a drink or two on special occasions and know many christians that do the same thing. I will look in the Bible and see what I can find and will post what I find here. I will be checking my NIV study bible so will get back to you
    Anonymous

• In the bible they drink wine but it is non furmented. Our wine today is much worse. You also have to take into consideration that it says not to harm your temple (your body). You need to listen to the holy spirit which will guide you in your decision. In my opinion. I wouldnt drink. Its not drinking itself it is what we do when we are drunk. It tends to make you loose and you dont think about decisions before you make them. There is a online bible that you can google and you keysearch on that bible site certain words. You could type in drunkeness and it should tell you the verse and explain what it means. Dont follow your gut but follow your heart where Jesus lives.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Its biblegateway.com click keyword search
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:26 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Ok, I have several wonderful Christian friends and family that drink a glass of wine with dinner, or even one beer with his friends after a long day at work. Does that make them bad Christians? I know that one of them makes it a point to have one glass everynight. She said it helps her sleep. I am just wondering if my kids are in the bed, Does it make me a BAD Christian to have a glass of wine to unwind??
    Anonymous

• I know some Catholic priests that are big time alcoholics. I know some Christians that go to church on Sunday and leave church and go to the bar and get wasted.

There is NOTHING wrong with having an occasional alcoholic drink, it is all about moderation. Having a glass of wine, etc doesn't make someone a bad Christian, it makes them human.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't know they serve wine at church right?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:39 PM on May. 14, 2009