My Ob just called and now I'm concerned...anyone else had this?

This past friday I had my glucose test. My Ob just called and said the results were elevated. Anything over 140 is high, and mine was 168. I have to go back in the morning to do a 3 hour glucose test. This is my 3rd pregnancy and with my first 2 Imy glucose levels were great. So what happens if they're still high tomorrow? Could this meanI will have to be induced? Bed rest? Are there any symptoms with high glucose levels, like fatigue or anything? My doc was in a hurry on the phone so I didn't have a chance to ask any questions. By the way, I'm 32 weeks. Has anyone ever had a baby at 32 weeks and was he/she ok?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 5:16 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In all likelihood, you'll just have to go on a diabetic diet for the remainder of your pregnancy, and you'll have some closer monitoring, maybe more ultrasounds to watch the size of the baby. But for most women with gestational diabetes, just following a diabetic diet is enough to keep their blood sugars under control. But when you do the 3 hour test and get the results you'll have a chance to talk with your ob who will have more info. Make sure you fast for 12 hours prior to the test and good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Sorry there are so many questions, I'm just rerally worried. Thanks ladies!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• if it's still elevated you will just have to be monitored and put on a special diet and have to prick your fingers to check levels
    Anonymous

• It is really more than likely nothing to worry about. It happened to me, with my 3rd baby too. The 3 hour test was fine, I had a full term delivery. I know you will worry, but more often than not that is the result that happens. Good luck!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have had friends have micropremies at 24 weeks and they have lived, and have been fine. Also, I had the same thing happen to me. I took the three hour glucose test and it was just fine. Dont worry about it until you have to. Right now it isn't a problem. Take the three hour and wait for the results. More than likely you are fine.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• dont worry about it until they do the test and then whatever happens with that you can talk to the dr about it. and you are 32 weeks your baby will probably live even if something terrible happened and they did have to take him/her early.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:26 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I had this happen with my 2nd pregnancy and when I did the 3 hour test my levels were fine...he just monitored me a little more....but that is it....
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 5:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I didn't pass mine either, I am also 32 weeks and went and did the 3 hour test tomorrow. This will be my 3rd and the first time I didn't pass the glucose testing. My doctor hasn't really spoken to me about the next step if I dont pass this one. I have another appointment in 2 weeks but I am sure as long as I follow the docs instructions the baby will be okay. What they are concerned about is me being dehydrated, I live in arizona so by 10 am it's over 103 degrees, so as far as pre-term labor that is their concern with me because I don't drink enough fluids. I always wondered why they take so long to give us the glucose testing...at 8 months? wonder why they wait so long!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

• More than likely the reason for the elevated results have something to do with what you ate the night before or what you ate before the test (if you ate that a.m.). You're already 32 wks...what took them so long to give you the GTT in the first place? I wouldn't fret. Like someone else posted, they'll just put you on a diet...but, really you only have about 8 weeks to go...Good luck. Hope all goes well with your test.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it could be gestational diabetes. My sister had it with her second pregnancy. She just had to watch what she ate and drank during pregnancy. I'm not sure how long after the pregnancy it went away but it did. You could take the three hour and results come back fine. That happened with her first pregnancy. The one hour was high and the 3 hour was normal.
    bren101283

Answer by bren101283 at 6:08 PM on May. 14, 2009