Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How will the hospital help for panic attacks & nerves?

I am not able to afford a drs visit right now , since the hospital will see you no matter what your financial status that's really my only option because I can't take it anymore. I need help for my nerves & panic attacks. I've been having problems for the past year & have finally realized I need to do something about it because I can no longer live my life this way. What can the hospital do for this? Anything?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Go to a behavioral health center and they have programs that can help you. A hospital is not a permanent solution.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

  • If you go to the ER, they might give you a short psychiatric evaluation and either give you a recommendation for where to go or admit you to their psych ward. I went for postpartum depression and anxiety last month. I spent a week there, and it was EXTREMELY therapeutic. Only the people YOU tell will know that you're there. There are strict strict strict confidentiality laws to protect patients.

    Answer by caitxrawks at 5:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

  • There are some medications that can be used to help with panic attacks. If you do start taking any of these medications be very careful and follow the instructions EXACTLY. With some of them you cannot just suddenly stop taking them or you go through withdrawal similar to what is described for drug adicts going through rehab. The drugs can help, but BE VERY CAREFUL. Good luck!

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

  • i recommend trying some natural alternatives. SAM-E really helped me and its cheaper then your hospital visit would be. Good luck and please know that there are many out there dealing with this issue, you are not alone.

    Answer by sidsmama at 6:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

  • They will do a Psych evaluation, and may prescribe antianxiety meds, like Xanax or Clonipin. The ER is a temp fix, you should really see a counselor. Some places have sliding scale fees it you have no insurance. Try Children's Service Society...they treat kids and adults. I have an anxiety disorder and take Xanax as needed and it works great that way, for me. Each person reacts differently to meds, that is why you really need to see a professional.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.