Hard shoes or soft shoes?

Which do you think is better for new walkers?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:43 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No shoes when possible and soft when not. The feet need to be able to develop naturally without hard plastic making them conform to s certain shape. Target and Babies r us have good soft soled ones that go up to size 18-24 months. AFter that I get Robeez or See Kai Run online. Mine are in soft shoes whenever possible until they hit 4 years old, but after 2 years they do occasionally have hard soled shoes (like when we go hiking and I am not carrying them on my back).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No shoes is what I always read. It's better for the child to feel the ground with bare feet or socks.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Soft.
    If a chid is in the house, bare foot is actually best. For short trips out of the house to indoor places, consider soft soled shoes or socks with grippy bottoms. For trips to the park or walks around the block, more protection is needed and that means proper shoes - low top, flexible soled, sneakers.

Decades ago, parents were told that high top, rigid shoes were best. They were also told that breastmilk was terrible for babies. Times and knowledge change.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• If you do shoes then def soft. Robeez are great...but expensive =( Also, Stride Rite (pre walkers). My son has an extremely wide foot, blame on it mommy AND daddy (LOL), and Stride Rite is the only shoe the poor kid can wear. Oh yeah, like kaycee said...no high tops!
    Anonymous

• soft
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I love the soft ones you can get at target or something like this.... http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24837964 .
    erinkoeser616

Answer by erinkoeser616 at 10:59 PM on May. 14, 2009