Why do some Christians think that non-Christians don't know anything about Christianity?

A lot of my fellow non-Christians (including me) were brought up as Christians.

Most of us have read the Bible, or most of it, at least once.

I dunno *shrug*.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is just the arrogance of some people. I mean if you knew about Christianity you would be a Christian right? lmao

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:48 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It seems that Christian's infer that by being a non-Christian you either: 1.) haven't read or been exposed, or 2.) missed something in the message and they are trying to restate that core message of salvation. If you have read and studied yet made the choice to be a "non-Christian", then make sure that is known at the time of asking the question or stating a point of view. I'm a Christian who may have made that mistake. I go on the information I am given.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Well if you read it then you must not have understood it or you would have followed it. Read it again but this time get saved. I had read the bible so many times but it was until I fully gave my heart to Jesus that I began to understand what I had read. I am not trying to be mean or rude. I am just giving some advice
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• then make sure that is known at the time of asking the question or stating a point of view

While I can't speak for everyone, you'd be hard pressed to find a non-Christian who posts here has at one point or another either been one or researched it. It's the ones who aren't that are the exception. If you must assume, you are safer to assume that they know and rejected it rather than to assume they are one of the very rare exceptions
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The bible itself is a reference for everyday life. Being a so-called Christian isn't when you are perfect, Christ himself didn't come to judge but to save. So what do those "People" , refer to and do they really say it to you , or are you just easily offended or take this personal. You know Jesus came for this very reason , so that we do not have to live in guilt. But we are redeemed by his blood. It's not too hard to understand, so start listening to what is really written instead of using what people say and taking it the wrong way. The book is the best teacher.
    Anonymous

• " Well if you read it then you must not have understood it or you would have followed it. Read it again but this time get saved. I had read the bible so many times but it was until I fully gave my heart to Jesus that I began to understand what I had read. I am not trying to be mean or rude. I am just giving some advice  "

This is exactly what the OP was talking about. Such arrogance!

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• " Well if you read it then you must not have understood it or you would have followed it. Read it again but this time get saved. I had read the bible so many times but it was until I fully gave my heart to Jesus that I began to understand what I had read. I am not trying to be mean or rude. I am just giving some advice "

That's like saying if you read L Ron Hubbard's works and didn't become a member Scientology's that you must not of have read them right. Where in the world do "you" people come from?
    Anonymous

• "Where in the world do "you" people come from? "

I think there is some bible thumping school, that makes them believe that they will go to hell if they don't judge the rest of us."

Anonymous

• While for some it does amount to arrogance....for others I don't believe so.  I think it is misunderstanding.....

They think you must not have studied/understood/opened your heart because they cannot comprehend why you do not get the same feeling out of their beliefs that they do.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Because someone consciously, lovingly, reasonably, intelligently, happily rejecting what their paradigm, which is so much a part of their Identity, is inconceivable and if they considered the possibility for one second, their entire identity would be called into question, and the Ego rails against that. It's standard human nature.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:35 PM on May. 14, 2009