Working moms, where does your schoolkid (too young to stay home alone) go durring the day durring the summer while you're at work?

I mean, public school is free, daycare and camps usually are not.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:49 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I enrolled my daughter in YMCA camps K-1. When it came time to enroll her in a program last summer, she was not interested in YCamp again. After 2 years in a row, it was just to predictable. I have to say, I was very pleased with the quality of the program. Lots of variety in traditional camp atmosphere. Our camps got to swim one day a week which was a big plus! Best of all, camp leaders are trained and certified. Best of all they had a very secure policy when it came to releasing children at the end of the camp day. Financially speaking, it's not cheap. $145 - $175 in our area. They do provide grants to offset some of the expense for families that qualify.

Last year, my math loving daughter opted for Math Camp. It was very economical compared to YCamp, but accidemic camps and summer school type programs are not for everyone.
    GymMom13

Answer by GymMom13 at 10:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My neighbor puts her daughter in the YMCA daycamp. It's not free but it's one of the least expensive options.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Park district day camps tend to cost less than the private ones. You can get a couple of families together and share a college student. You can find a friend or family member to take your child(ren) one or two days a week so you are paying less for day camp.
    Many private day camps have scholarships available.
    Where we live, day camps are generally filled by March.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I get summer au pairs ($5000 for the summer is not cheap but I have 3 kids)
    Anonymous

• My boys (ages 8 and 11) go to a city park summer camp. It is awesome!! They swim nearly every day, go to at least 2-3 field trips (skating rinks, movies, jupiter jumps, bowling, Incredible Pizza....) a week, have educational speakers, play in the gym, arts/craft...we could not be happier! The cost is only $75/wk/child, which is about half of most others. Everything is included in the price except lunch (brown bag it)! They love it and I don't feel guilty about them not enjoying their summer!
    twillie

Answer by twillie at 12:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• In our community there is a summer recreation program that is held at our local school. The kids bring there own lunch and are very well supervised. They go outside, play games, watch movies and do crafts. Two days a week they go to the beach. My kids love it!! The only draw back is it only lasts from 8-3, which works well for us but not alot of others. Check with your Chamber of Commerce or Town Clerk to see what is available in your area. I remember going to the same program in a different town when I was a child. Oh, and the best part, FREE TO ALL!!!!
    AnGeLsPenCer

Answer by AnGeLsPenCer at 5:46 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My daughter goes to the Boys and Girls club. Its 25 a week for 8 hours per day mon-fri. Durning the school yr she goes after school till I can get off work and that is 35 a school yr.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 9:53 PM on May. 17, 2009